Tourism Research Australia (TRA) reported (Apr-2021) the following highlights for regional visitors and spend for Jan-2021:
- Capital cities recorded losses of AUD1.9 billion (USD1.4 billion) in spend (down 48%). This was due to the loss of 1.5 million overnight visitors (down 38% to 2.5 million);
- Regional Australia recorded small increases in spend and overnight visitors. Overnight spend was up 7% or AUD358 million (USD266 million). Visitors were up by 1% or 38,000;
- New South Wales (NSW) losses increase, as there were restrictions placed on areas of Greater Sydney as a result of a coronavirus outbreak:
- Sydney overnight spend fell 74% (down AUD538 million (USD410 million)). Visitors fell 63% to 329,000;
- Regional NSW overnight spend increased 11% (up AUD206 million (USD157 million)). Visitors increased 5% to 2.7 million. The number of nights stayed were also up 12% compared with the same period last year.