The Corporate Travel Community (CTC) brings you the second of this week’s round up of some of the latest accommodation news from across the globe.
- Radisson hits the heart of the European Union with first Radisson Collection hotel opening in Brussels
- InterContinental Houston – Medical Center debuts innovative bio defence that is said to eliminate virus that causes Covid-19
- Voco’s global drive sees the upscale brand reach northern Europe
- Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- News briefs – bitesize updates of latest industry news and developments
Radisson hits the heart of the European Union with first Radisson Collection hotel opening in Brussels
Radisson Hotel Group has confirmed the opening of the first Radisson Collection hotel in Belgium and Brussels, the heart of the European Union. The debut of the flagship Radisson Collection Hotel, Grand Place Brussels follows a transformation of the former Radisson Blu Royal Hotel to the new marque, a premium lifestyle brand reserved for the group’s most outstanding luxury properties, which it describes as “offering unique guest experiences, exceptional interior design, personalised services, and comprehensive guest amenities”. The 282 rooms and public spaces at the property have been completely renovated and redesigned in partnership with Rafael de La Hoz, one of the world’s most prestigious and longest standing architecture firms. Its amenities include two elegant restaurants offering modern grilled dishes and Chinese specialties, 18 contemporary meeting spaces, an Executive Lounge, a Presidential Suite, and a fitness centre. Famed for its glass-crowned, seven-storey atrium and post-modernist architecture, the hotel’s distinctive design harks back to the hotel’s opening in 1989. Radisson says its “sophisticated and stylish new design reflects the hotel’s location, and offers the template for contemporary lifestyle living, united by modern design and exceptional experiences”.
InterContinental Houston – Medical Center debuts innovative bio defence that is said to eliminate virus that causes Covid-19
Its location within the renowned Texas Medical Center means that you would expect the InterContinental Houston – Medical Center hotel to be ahead of the game when it comes to medical advances. It is therefore no surprise to learn that it is taking further steps to enhance its approach to cleanliness by becoming the first hotel to use the new Integrated Viral Protection (IVP) Bio Defense Indoor Air Protection Filtration System. The innovative air protection filtration system has been developed by Houston-based entrepreneur Monzer Hourani who also happens to head the ownership group of the property. The IVP Air heated-air filtration system is a mobile, plug-and-purify device designed to eliminate SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes Covid-19), anthrax spores and other airborne contaminants through a heated filter that does not impact the temperature of the ambient air.
Voco’s global drive sees the upscale brand reach northern Europe
InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) has expanded its upscale voco brand into northern Europe with the conversion of an existing property into the voco Villach in Austria. The property is Villach‘s largest and houses 130 rooms and 5 suites, located alongside the Drau river, directly in the city centre and surrounded by the picturesque mountain landscape of the Austrian Alps. Since its launch in 2018, voco has experienced incredible growth across the globe, with more than 40 signings worldwide in the last two years alone. IHG’s newest upscale brand already has open hotels in Australia, the UK, Montenegro, Saudi Arabia and the UAE, with new hotels set to open in Germany, France, the Netherlands, Egypt, Poland, Cyprus, South Africa, Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia in the next few years. In Northern Europe, voco will celebrate its debut in Germany with the opening of voco Dusseldorf Seestern later this year, followed by voco Frankfurt Airport West in 2022. In the neighbouring Netherlands, voco The Hague is set to open in spring next year.
Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- Performance data for hotels in Canada for the week commencing 06-Sep-2020 showed slightly lower performance from prior weeks, albeit year-on-year declines improved, but also remain significant. Notably, the occupancy level for the week slips below the -40% threshold after recording levels of 41.9%, 42.1% and 42.9% over the past three weeks. In comparison with the week commencing 08-Sep-2020, occupancy was down -48.0% to 39.8%, ADR declined -32.3% to CAD123.89 and RevPAR fell -64.8% to CAD49.32. British Columbia (50.9%) was the only province to reach or surpass a 50% occupancy level, while Ottawa (40.1%) was the only major market at or above the 40% mark.
- United States of America hotel occupancy decreased in the week commencing 06-Sep-2020 with demand down -1.6% less, at 17.7 million room nights sold as the Labor Day holiday impacted the previous week’s performance levels. The highest occupancy markets were those housing displaced residents from Hurricane Laura and western wildfires, with Louisiana North (77.2%) and Louisiana South (76.8%) showing the highest levels in the metric. The Oregon Area (73.7%) and California North (73.3%) markets were also among the top 5five highest occupancy levels for the week. In comparison with the week commencing 08-Sep-2019, occupancy was down -30.2% to 48.5%, ADR declined a quarter, down -25.5% to USD98.99 and RevPAR fell -48.1% to USD47.96.
- The Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) has entered into a partnership with Trip Mate to offer travel protection to guests if the unexpected happens with a visit booked at participating member hotels. The agreement will cover a range of protection cover that will include cancellations, interruptions, delays, baggage mishaps and medical situations that may arise during a guest’s trip.
- CLC World Resorts & Hotels is increasing its staycation options for UK-based members through a partnership that will offer guaranteed usage of the luxury Watersmeet apartments at De Vere’s Cotswold Water Park from mid-Oct-2020 through 2021. Located in the rolling hills of The Cotswolds, close to Cirencester, the location has a selection of suites and one, two and three bed luxury apartments all equipped with kitchenettes and full use of the resort’s facilities including bars, restaurants, spa and a large gym.
- Dexter Moren Associates (DMA) has announced it has successfully secured planning consent for a new high-quality hotel at the heart of York’s central historic core conservation area for Dominvs Group. The new 132-bedroom UK hotel, near the landmark Clifford’s Tower, will feature a restaurant facing out onto the busy Piccadilly thoroughfare, becoming part of the Castle regeneration area.
- Located in Siem Reap’s picturesque former French colonial quarter, the FCC Angkor by Avani has re-opened with an expanded leisure and guestroom offering with the introduction of Visaya Spa, a new resort wing and a second saltwater swimming pool. The neo-colonial resort now has accommodation across three new room categories: the Family Suite, Garden Suite and Riverview Suite.
- The management of the Le Meridien Dallas by the Galleria hotel has been assumed by Rhode Island-based StepStone Hospitality. The 258-room, all suite property recently underwent a USD2.2 million renovation. It is located just 10 miles from Dallas Love Field Airport and 14 miles from Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, adjacent to the Galleria Dallas and in close proximity to I-635 and the Dallas North Tollway.
- Marriott Bonvoy, Marriott International’s travel programme, has entered into a marketing partnership with the National Park Foundation (NPF), the official non-profit partner of the National Park Service. The introduction of a dedicated travel planning website allows members to take advantage of discounted rates for stays at Marriott’s 406 properties located near national parks across the US.
- The Park Inn by Radisson upper midscale hotel brand has made its debut in Jeddah, Saudia Arabia with the opening of the Park Inn by Radisson Jeddah Madinah Road. The property has 84 rooms and suites and is located within close proximity of King Abdulaziz International Airport, about 25km from the heart of the city,
- The Sailrock Resort, a premium holiday resort on South Caicos, has been included in the prestigious list of American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts, a collection of luxury hotels and resorts offering exclusive benefits to holders of the coveted Platinum and Centurion Cards. The barefoot luxury property is one of only four Turks and Caicos resorts, and one of 45 Caribbean properties in this premium collection.
- Sun Siyam Resorts has confirmed its four resorts in the Maldives and one in Sri Lanka will come under common branding. This will see The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi Maldives, Olhuveli Beach & Spa Maldives, Sun Aqua Vilu Reef Maldives, Sun Aqua Iru Veli Maldives and Sun Aqua Pasikudah Sri Lanka to be rebranded under the Sun Siyam name.
- InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) has outlined plans to introduce its upscale voco hotel brand in Greater China, bringing its eleventh brand to the region where it already has approaching 500 open hotels. The first voco-branded hotel will open in Hangzhou “very soon” while the first voco signing with an existing independent hotel will see the brand arrive in Wuhan in 2021 with the rebranding of a property as the voco Wuhan Xinhua.