CTC – Corporate Travel Community brings you a round up of some of the latest accommodation and hospitality news from across the globe.
- Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants to debut in France this spring with new Paris flagship
- Hyatt to debut Hyatt Centric lifestyle brand in Georgia
- Avani Hotels & Resorts opens third Dubai property
- Marriott International to bring The Ritz-Carlton brand to The Swiss Alps
- Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- News briefs – bitesize updates of latest industry news and developments
Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants to debut in France this spring with new Paris flagship
Unveiling a new chapter in its European expansion, IHG Hotels & Resorts’ boutique luxury brand, Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants, will open its first property in France this spring. The opening of Kimpton St Honoré Paris will see the brand’s playful and sophisticated design, innovative approach to restaurants and bars, and immersive guest experiences, offer a fresh perspective on hospitality in the City of Light. The property will breathe new life into a heritage building which once housed the much-loved luxury department store “Samaritaine de Luxe”. Located on the Boulevard des Capucines in Paris’ Opéra district, the hotel will house 149 guest rooms (including 24 suites), an indoor swimming pool, gym and a Spa with luxury treatment rooms. Its landmark original 1917 Art Nouveau façade, distinctive staircase and unique elevator will all be restored and celebrated French interior designer Charles Zana is transforming the spaces. The property will also feature a tenth-floor rooftop terrace bar offering 360-degree views of the city.
Hyatt to debut Hyatt Centric lifestyle brand in Georgia
Hyatt Hotels has confirmed an affiliate has entered into a management agreement with Alliance City LLC for the development of Hyatt Centric Boulevard Batumi, which will mark the introduction of the Hyatt Centric brand to The Republic of Georgia and the ninth Hyatt Centric hotel in Europe. Expected to open in 2025, the hotel will offer 180 guestrooms including 14 suites, a restaurant and lobby bar, fitness and spa facilities as well as 5,920 square feet (550 square meters) of event space. Set to be located at the start of Rustaveli Avenue, Batumi’s main street, Hyatt Centric Boulevard Batumi will be nestled on a seafront promenade overlooking Batumi Beach. Batumi is Georgia’s second largest city and it was named Europe’s leading emerging tourism destination by World Travel Awards in 2019 and 2020. The hotel will be built as part of the Alliance Centropolis, a new mixed-used development that comprises residential apartments, the World Trade Centre Batumi and a shopping and entertainment arcade. Guests will be able to enjoy being in the heart of the action with many of the neighbourhood’s top attractions within walking distance, including the Batumi Boulevard park and the belle époque architecture of the Old Town.
Avani Hotels & Resorts opens third Dubai property
Avani Hotels & Resorts has opened Avani Palm View Dubai Hotel & Suites, a new-build hotel that offers a blend of stylish, beach city living and contemporary comfort in one of Dubai’s most sought-after areas. It marks its third Avani property in the city joining Avani Ibn Battuta Dubai and Avani Deira Dubai Hotel, further strengthening the positioning of the brand in the UAE and region. The 48-storey property boasts an unbeatable location positioned between the vibrant communities of Dubai Media City, The Palm Jumeirah and Dubai Marina, overlooking the iconic Palm Jumeirah, one of Dubai’s most sought-after areas. Catering to a mix of leisure, corporate and extended-stay guests, Avani Palm View has 264 Avani Serviced Apartments, designed by AECOM and developed by ALFAHIM, one of the UAE’s largest conglomerates. These range from 41 square metre studios, up to 165 square metre three-bedroom units, with eleven different room types.
Marriott International to bring The Ritz-Carlton brand to The Swiss Alps
Marriott International has signed an agreement with Mario Julen to bring The Ritz-Carlton brand to Zermatt, debuting the first Ritz-Carlton ski resort in Europe. Expected to open in 2026, the 69-guest room property will bring the brand’s legendary service and elegant design to the world-famous Swiss resort destination. Once open, the property will serve as the second Ritz-Carlton hotel in Switzerland, joining The Ritz-Carlton Hotel de la Paix, Geneva. The property will be designed by Paris-based firm AW² led by partner architects Reda Amalou and Stéphanie Ledoux, with the architectural and interior design expected to offer a refined take on the classic mountain chalet. The property will offer unobstructed views of Matterhorn from both guestrooms and dining establishments. Design plans are slated to feature two restaurants and two bars, an outdoor terrace for alfresco dining, and a private dining room for intimate gatherings. Zermatt affords unrivalled skiing for all levels, climbing across the Matterhorn peak as well as easy access to Cervinia in Italy for off-piste, heli-skiing and glacier skiing in the summer months. The town is well renowned for its après-ski activities offering outstanding restaurants and luxurious retail.
Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- Hotels in Africa reported all-time lows in occupancy and RevPAR in 2020, but ended the year on a high note, with Dec-2020 monthly data reaching closer to pre-pandemic levels in each of the three key performance metrics. In comparison with 2019, occupancy fell -52.6% to 29.0%, ADR slipped -3.3% to USD103.12 and RevPAR declined -54.1% to USD29.86.
- Hotels in the Asia Pacific region saw record-low performance during 2020. Each of the three key performance metrics were the lowest for any year on record in the region. In comparison with 2019, occupancy was down -35.6% to 44.5%, ADR declined -22.2% to USD74.99 and RevPAR halved, down -49.9% to USD33.39.
- The hotel industry in Europe reported all-time lows in occupancy and RevPAR in 2020. In comparison with 2019, occupancy fell -54.2% to 33.1% and RevPAR declined -62.5% to EUR30.86, while ADR also declined but to a lesser degree, down -18.2% to EUR93.34.
- Hotels in the Middle East reported all-time lows in occupancy and RevPAR in 2020, but ended the year on a high note, with Dec-2020 monthly data reaching closer to pre-pandemic levels in each of the three key performance metrics. In comparison with 2019, occupancy was down -30.3% to 45.9%, ADR declined -17.3% to USD117.23 and RevPAR fell -42.4% to USD53.77.
News briefs – bitesize updates of latest industry news and developments
- Marshall Hotels & Resorts has announced the completion of a full, multi-million-dollar renovation of the 298-room DoubleTree by Hilton Washington, D.C. North/Gaithersburg that touched on virtually all aspects of the hotel. This includes a completely reconfigured lobby and a refresh of the property’s event space. The 12-storey hotel is just a short drive or train ride from Washington, D.C. and is located just four miles from the Shady Grove METRO Station, the DoubleTree also is proximate to National Institute of Standards & Technology (NIST), NOVAVAX, AstraZeneca and Hughes.
- Hotel management company Strand Hospitality Services has confirmed the opening of Home2 Suites by Hilton Charlotte Belmont, located in the heart of Belmont near Charlotte Douglas International Airport, Belmont Historic District, multiple parks and state forests. The property, developed by Montcross Hawley Ave, offers 107 all-suite accommodations featuring fully equipped kitchens and modular furniture allowing guests the flexibility to customize their suite to their style and preference.
- Hotelbeds has extended its partnership with HotelRunner, a sales channel management platform and B2B network for OTAs and hoteliers. Further building on over six years of successful partnership, HotelRunner’s 40,000 hotel and hostel partners from all over the world will continue to have access to Hotelbeds’ 60,000 travel trade buyers – including tour operators, travel agencies, airlines and loyalty points schemes drawn from over 185 source markets.
- IHG and City Tattersalls Club has confirmed plans for the Hotel Indigo Sydney Centre. Scheduled to open in 2025, the property will sit atop the iconic Club’s premises in a newly renovated, 49-storey mixed-use tower that includes new restaurants, event space, an exclusive City based business lounge, retail, health and wellbeing facilities, along with a circa 110-room hotel and 246 residential apartments. This is a prime location within the Pitt Street frontage, just a stone’s throw away from Pitt Street Mall, the pedestrianised heart of Sydney CBD, and the City’s premier shopping, food and entertainment precincts.
- Vision Hospitality Group has confirmed its newest lifestyle hotel, Kinley Chattanooga Southside, is planned to open this spring with it now accepting reservations beginning 29-Apr-2021. The 64-room hotel is nestled in the city’s entertainment district, a walkable neighbourhood where art and culture make up the community. Derived from the word kinship meaning social connection and based around the brand’s mantra of “Sincerely Yours,” the new location adds to a sister property located in Cincinnati, OH.
- LHG (London Hotel Group) has announced a strategic partnership with 4th Wave Technology, a distributor of cutting-edge clean air technology, to provide VIRUSKILLER to its entire portfolio of properties, including the Best Western Plus London Croydon Aparthotel which made national and international headlines recently as the first hotel in the UK to start to taking in NHS clients for self-isolation amidst the surge in coronavirus cases. Each room, reception and public areas at the Best Western Plus London Croydon Aparthotel have VIRUSKILLER air steriliser units installed.
- Accor has opened the Pullman Downtown Dubai, a 353 room and suite property in the city’s Business Bay district that is close to key business areas including Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC). It is the fifth Pullman property in the UAE, joining the Pullman Dubai Deira Creek City Centre, Pullman Sharjah, Pullman Dubai Jumeirah Lakes Towers – Hotel & Residences and Pullman Business Bay Dubai.
- Kenya hospitality technology expert Revenue Solutions East Africa (RevSol) has partnered with hotel distribution technology specialist eRevMax to offer RateTiger as a preferred channel manager to its affiliated properties. The agreement makes RevSol the official provider of RateTiger in the region. The African company focuses on providing hotel solutions including PMS and revenue management solutions to help hotels increase efficiency, lower costs and improve performance.
- The San Vicente Resort & Golf Course, nestled within the backcountry of San Diego, California, has upgraded its guest connectivity services with the implementation of a high-speed guest Wi-Fi network upgrade from Hotel Internet Services (HIS). Its legacy network had become outdated and risked impacting guest satisfaction due to slow speeds or dropped connections.
- Luxury resort operator Soneva has announced the launch of Soneva Jani, Chapter Two. This expands upon Soneva Jani’s portfolio of water villas, as well as introducing exciting new dining concepts, the Soneva Wellness Centre, and a whole new way to experience the best of the resort with Soneva Unlimited. Twenty-seven new over-water villas can be accessed via a winding jetty off the southern tip of the resort’s main island, positioned to maximise privacy and create a true sense of seclusion.
- TIME Hotels has underscored a commitment to staff welfare and dedication to positively supporting local communities with the launch of the group’s 2021 CSR calendar. The campaign, which is based around the four pillars of workplace, marketplace community and environment, has been a mainstay of TIME Hotels’ commitment to improving others’ lives and forms part of a 12-month programme of initiatives.