CTC – Corporate Travel Community brings you a round up of some of the latest accommodation and hospitality news from across the globe. Here’s our offering for this week.
- Kimpton brings its heartfelt boutique luxury to the City of Light
- Radisson introduces the Radisson RED brand in central London
- IHG launches the Vignette Collection of luxury and lifestyle properties
- W Rome to debut in Oct-2021 with rooftop bar looking over the Eternal City
- Accor debuts Novotel Mexico City Toreo and showcases new brand vision in North and Central America
- Mandarin Oriental opens new luxury urban resort in Istanbul
- Coralville Hotel & Conference Center reflags under the Hyatt Regency brand
- Marriott continues Turkish growth with 10 anticipated openings by end of 2022
- Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- News briefs – bitesize updates of latest industry news and developments
Kimpton brings its heartfelt boutique luxury to the City of Light
Kimpton St Honoré Paris, the first opening in France for IHG Hotels & Resorts’ luxury boutique brand, has officially opened its doors bringing creative flair and heartfelt service to a 1917 Art Nouveau building. The new hotel is located in the Opera district, a stone’s throw from Place Vendôme, the Paris Opera, Faubourg St Honoré & the Tuileries Gardens. The former 1900s “Samaritaine de Luxe” department store has been transformed into a sophisticated, easy-going luxury space by French architect and interior designer Charles Zana. Influenced by the 1930s Art Deco scene, the 123 guest rooms and 26 designed Suites are inspired by Parisian apartments with balconies, floor to ceiling windows and carefully selected works of art adding a splash of Kimpton’s bold design and Parisian chic to the hotel’s interiors. The building’s striking original staircase and wooden elevator have been restored as standout features of the hotel. There are currently 75 Kimpton hotels open globally, with an additional 32 new hotels in the pipeline. Kimpton St Honoré Paris joins a portfolio of six other hotels across Europe including Kimpton Vividora Hotel in Barcelona, Kimpton De Witt in Amsterdam and four Kimpton hotels in the UK.
Radisson introduces the Radisson RED brand in central London
Radisson Hotel Group has opened its first Radisson RED hotel in central London. The Radisson RED London Greenwich The O2, opened its doors in Aug-2021, located in London’s hip borough of Greenwich, complete with riverside views, excellent local attractions, and just minutes from central London. The fun and bold lifestyle, select-service hotel has 70 guest rooms housing plush beds and rain effect showers. The spacious rooms are decorated with stunning photo art, large beds and there is no lack of charging points, meeting the needs of the modern traveller. This may be Central London’s first Radisson RED property, but it is not the first serving Greater London or the wider UK, where the likes of Radisson RED Glasgow and Radisson RED Heathrow Airport Hotel are already offering guests upscale, fun and unconventional hotel experiences.
IHG launches the Vignette Collection of luxury and lifestyle properties
IHG Hotels & Resorts has launched the Vignette Collection as its new luxury and lifestyle brand, with hotels in Australia and Thailand the first to join the collection. The Vignette Collection becomes the sixth addition to IHG’s brand portfolio in the past four years, taking it to 17 in total across nearly 6,000 hotels in more than 100 countries. The Collection further enriches IHG’s fast-growing Luxury & Lifestyle offer for both leisure and business travellers. IHG’s Vignette Collection will give owners of “world-class independent hotels” the opportunity to retain their distinctive identity, while benefitting from the global brand’s luxury and lifestyle expertise, and powerful loyalty programme. These exclusive properties will be mainly located in sought-after urban and resort locations and IHG expects to attract more than 100 properties to the collection in the next ten years. Among the first hotels to join IHG’s Vignette Collection will be Hotel X, a 5-star hotel, dining and lifestyle destination in the centre of Brisbane’s Fortitude Valley, Australia. Thailand’s Pattaya Aquatique hotel will also be among the first hotels to join the collection.
W Rome to debut in Oct-2021 with rooftop bar looking over the Eternal City
Spanning two adjacent 19th-century buildings on Via Liguria with 162 guestrooms and suites, the W Rome will offer a prime location ideally situated near the famous Spanish Steps and fashionable boutiques of Via Condotti when it formally opens in Oct-2021. The hotel also boasts one of the city’s very few rooftop bars with panoramic views across the Eternal City. In a city marked by immense historical heritage, W Rome will see “an unapologetically Italian colour palette and patterning meet a layered blurring of different eras of standout design”. Guests are welcomed into the hotel by the W Living Room, featuring a skylight and a window of patterned glass allowing light to flood through the bright and airy open space. Eclectic seating areas are surrounded by elegant sculptural pieces of art, while black and grey marble flooring run throughout. With a bold yet calming colour palette, the 162 guestrooms and suites have been designed to make guests feel as though they have their own luxury city apartment.
Accor debuts Novotel Mexico City Toreo and showcases new brand vision in North and Central America
Accor has formally opened the Novotel Mexico City Toreo, a new property in Naucalpan de Juárez, located near Mexico City’s main business hubs, shopping centres and tourist destinations. The new hotel, the third Novotel in Mexico is the main flagship property for the brand in the North and Central American region, showcasing its new design vision. The property is one of the ten new properties, ranging from economy to lifestyle and luxury, scheduled to be opened by Accor in Mexico within the next few years. The Novotel Mexico City Toreo is a LEED Gold Core & Shell certified property featuring 168 rooms – 116 Superior Rooms, 20 Executive Rooms, 20 Superior Suites and 12 Master Suites. Each room features an avant-garde design with contemporary colours and European-inspired furnishings. It features the Sundokovy Sisters design creative of offering a ”contemporary style that blends business with pleasure and well-being coupled with unique co-living spaces”, one of four international design studios selected to reimagine new design concepts for the brand.
Mandarin Oriental opens new luxury urban resort in Istanbul
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group has opened its newest luxury hotel on the shores of the Bosphorus in Istanbul located 15 minutes from the central business district and the city’s central Taksim Square. The Mandarin Oriental Bosphorus, Istanbul features 100 spacious, luxuriously designed guest rooms and suites with stunning views over the Bosphorus and the city skyline. A wide range of restaurants and bars, significant entertainment spaces for social gatherings, and an all-encompassing Mandarin Oriental Spa provides a strong backdrop for leisure and business travellers alike. For corporate and social events, the hotel features three expansive ballrooms, a garden terrace and pool area, and six meeting rooms. This marks the Group’s second entry into Turkey, complementing the Mandarin Oriental, Bodrum which opened in 2017.
Coralville Hotel & Conference Center reflags under the Hyatt Regency brand
The Hyatt Regency brand has taken a bow in the US state of Iowa after parent Hyatt Hotels Corporation reached agreement with hospitality owner and manager Marcus Hotels & Resorts to reflag the Coralville Hotel & Conference Center under the full-service brand. The property, owned by the City of Coralville, will undergo a phased renovation to meet the elevated experience and amenities expected under the Hyatt Regency brand. This will include refreshed guestrooms and a new restaurant and bar concept to appeal to both travellers and local guests. The property is situated in the heart of the Iowa River Landing, a 180-acre mixed-use development featuring more than 330,000 square feet of retail, office, residential and entertainment spaces. It features 286 guestrooms and suites with marble baths and scenic views of the Iowa River.
Marriott continues Turkish growth with 10 anticipated openings by end of 2022
Turkey is already home to 17 of Marriott International’s brands, each serving differentiated experiences across traveller segments and will grow to encompass 43 properties with over 7,000 rooms across eight markets by the end of 2022 as a further ten properties debut before the end of 2022. Reinforcing its long-term focus on the market, the company has also signed two recent deals under the Four Points by Sheraton brand: the Four Points by Sheraton Istanbul Kagithane is expected to open this year and the Four Points by Sheraton Elazig projected to open in 2022. To meet the demand for longer-stay accommodations in the country, the company is expected to debut its extended stay brand, Residence Inn by Marriott, with the anticipated opening of Residence Inn by Marriott Istanbul Atasehir later this year. The company’s renowned premium brands also remain a strong driver of growth in the Turkish market. Following the recent opening of Orientbank Hotel Istanbul, Autograph Collection, two new Autograph Collection hotels are planned to open in Istanbul – The Burdock, Autograph Collection in 2021 and Orient Occident Hotel, Autograph Collection in 2022. Other new arrivals include the Delta Hotels by Marriott Istanbul Levent by the end of 2021, the Sheraton Istanbul Esenyurt next year and the Ritz-Carlton Residences, Istanbul and the Residences at the Sheraton Istanbul Esenyurt, also in 2022.
Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- The hotel industry in Canada reported its highest monthly performance levels since the pandemic began, according to STR’s July-2021 data, but even with improvement from previous months, the country’s performance levels remained well below pre-pandemic comparisons from Jul-2019. Occupancy was down -27.6% at 54.5%, ADR declined -18.2% to CAD151.31 and RevPAR fell -40.7% to CAD82.53. The occupancy and RevPAR levels were the highest in Canada since Feb-2020, while the ADR level was the country’s highest since Dec-2019.
- Tokyo, Japan posted its highest hotel occupancy in 17 months and saw a pair of days with levels that approached the peak of the “Go To Travel” campaign in 2020, as it hosted the delayed summer Olympics. Tokyo’s 47.2% occupancy level for Jul-2021 was the market’s highest monthly level since Feb-2020. Daily occupancy reached 60.5% and 60.6% on the night before and the night of the opening ceremony. The last time Tokyo passed the 60% daily occupancy threshold was during the “Go To Travel” campaign on 21-Nov-2020. Preliminary data for August shows that occupancy lessened over the course of the Olympics and slipped to 45.4% on the night of the closing ceremony and 29.2% the night after.
- The hotel industry in the United States of America (USA) reported all-time monthly highs in ADR and RevPAR on a nominal basis in July-2021, albeit when adjusted for inflation, the ADR and RevPAR levels were lower than the all-time highs recorded in 2019. On an absolute basis, occupancy was the highest for any month since Aug-2019. In comparison with pre-pandemic Jul-2019 performance, occupancy was down -5.5% to 69.6%, ADR was up +6.0% to USD143.30 and RevPAR relatively unchanged, up +0.2% to USD99.71.
News briefs – bitesize updates of latest industry news and developments
- 360 Networks, makers of the hospitality communications platform, ComXchange, has built a new partnership with Nomadix to equip hotels with Angie in-room voice assistants, an upgraded phone alternative powered by the ComXchange PBX. Angie’s patented technology uses both voice control and touchscreen capabilities to offer a complete solution for hoteliers seeking to increase guest satisfaction, streamline operations, improve staff efficiencies and maximise revenue opportunities
- The Bellwether Beach Resort in St. Pete Beach, Florida, has opened as the popular destination’s newest independent beachfront hotel and the first in more than ten years. Housed inside an iconic tower, a fixture on St. Pete Beach since the 1970s, the property features 156 guest rooms and suites spread across ten floors – six penthouses –that boast vibrant colour schemes like tangerine orange and lime green and each with a private balcony and views that reach from sea to city.
- Choice Hotels International has announced the expansion of its emerging markets franchise development programme with new development incentives for female owners, as part of the company’s ongoing commitment to diversity. The first example of this in practice has been the award of a franchise contract to IGO Legacy Hotel Group for the Comfort Inn Saint Paul East property. Since this programme began, the company has awarded and financially supported over 270 franchise agreements with underrepresented minority and veteran entrepreneurs, including 24 deals awarded last year despite the pandemic.
- Leeu Collection has appointed Auberge Resorts Collection to manage Collegio Alla Querce in Florence, Italy. The historic 16th century property, which has its own chapel and theatre, is due to open in 2023 and will become Auberge Resorts Collection’s second property in Europe. The property is housed within 15,000 square feet of elegant gardens set on a rolling hill on the northside of Florence’s historic city centre. It will include 82 keys (61 rooms, 20 suites and a 210-square-metre signature suite).
- Hideaway Beach Resort & Spa will launch ‘The Signature Collection by Hideaway’ in Nov-2021, a new brand for the world’s most discerning traveller, seeking bona fide opulent experiences. The new arrival will offer secluded luxury and villa-style living on the far Northern Point of the 33-hectare island in a ‘resort within a resort’ concept featuring nine ultra-luxurious villas providing exclusivity and indulgence. All have been designed with Middle Eastern influences.
- The Hu. Hotel, part of the Aparium Hotel Group portfolio, has reopened its doors to visitors in Memphis with a reimagined rooftop bar and casual café. Evoking the irreverent and laid-back nature of its hometown, the refreshed 110-room hotel (including 42 suites) is located at the corner of Madison Avenue and South Main Street, and stands on the banks of the mighty Mississippi River. The hotel was inspired by the spirit of Memphis and is named after one of its legendary citizens, Hugh ‘Hu.’ Lawson White Brinkley.
- The new Hyatt House OSU-Short North extended stay hotel has opened to guests, located just across the from R&D giant Battelle and adjacent to Columbus’ vibrant Short North Arts District, Victorian Village and The Ohio State University. The 152-room property features 104 suites and 48 den guestrooms. The 2,000 square feet of flexible meeting space, with indoor and outdoor breakout options, offer a much-needed meeting and event venue in the OSU-Short North neighbourhood.
- Fülhaus, a furniture and accessory solutions provider geared towards the short-term rental and direct-to-consumer markets, has been awarded a contract by RealPage as its preferred furniture, fixtures, and equipment provider (FF&E) for its new apartment home sharing solution, Migo. Migo has been created through RealPage’s partnership with Airbnb and provides a turnkey solution for short-term rentals in multifamily communities.
- Naladhu Private Island, the exclusive luxury island resort in the Maldives, will relaunch in Nov-2021 following a complete renovation during its six-month closure. The intimate resort is undergoing a total redesign with the public areas and accommodation being completely renovated. Located on the edge of a pristine lagoon in the South Malé Atoll, the property is home to just 20 ‘Houses’, offering privacy and seclusion for visitors.
- Radisson Hotel Group announced its first hotel in the scenic hills of Lonavala today with the opening of Radisson Resort & Spa Lonavala. A drivable getaway with convenient air, rail and road connectivity from Mumbai and Pune, the destination is described as a travellers’ paradise offering many tourist attractions such as Rajmachi Point, Lonavala Lake, Duke’s Nose, Karla Caves. It features 103 rooms across four categories – Superior room with balcony view; Deluxe room featuring a lush green view, Suite which offers generous space, and Presidential Suite which comes with a five-seater open deck whirlpool.
- NexGen Hotels has confirmed the opening of the TownePlace Suites by Marriott Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee. Located on Lakehurst Road, the 96-suite hotel offers guests convenient access to Six Flags Great American Amusement Park, Gurnee Mills Mall, Naval Station Great Lakes, and numerous shopping dining and entertainment options. The new property offers studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom suites with fully equipped kitchens, as well as separate living/working and sleeping areas.
- IHG Hotels & Resorts has opened its first premium hotel in the oldest US city, voco St. Augustine-Historic Area. The new property on the northeast coast of Florida captures voco’s expressive design that merges upscale touches with a laid-back spirit. Set on the peaceful Anastasia Island by the Bridge of Lions, the 50-room property is located near historic Old Town shopping, beaches and favourite attractions including Matanzas Bay, the Lightner Museum and the St. Augustine Lighthouse.