Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA reported (27-Jan-2021) plans to continue focusing on its short haul business, consolidated into Nordic bases with sufficient scale to defend and improve on its cost position:
- Nordic focus: Majority of routes will be Nordic-based with 15% to 20% domestic and 80% to 85% of international activity measured in ASKs;
- Profitable core: Prioritising routes and markets of the business that historically have had the strongest performance;
- Retain needed scale: A fleet size retaining sufficient market presence and scale economies in core markets, with growth opportunities post-COVID-19.
The airline also outlined the following fleet reduction plan for summer 2021:
- Removing 37 long haul aircraft as part of the termination of long haul activities;
- A reduction of 50 narrowbody aircraft as part of a process to right size its short haul fleet;
- Targeting a total fleet of 50 operational aircraft plus three spare narrowbodies.