US President Joe Biden announced (09-Sep-2021) plans to introduce the following new actions towards a goal of producing three billion gallons of sustainable fuel and reducing aviation emissions by 20% by 2030:
- New and ongoing funding opportunities to support sustainable aviation fuel projects and fuel producers totalling up to USD4.3 billion;
- An increase in R&D activities to demonstrate new technologies that can achieve at least a 30% improvement in aircraft fuel efficiency;
- Efforts to improve air traffic and airport efficiency to reduce fuel use, eliminate lead exposure and ensure cleaner air in and around airports;
- The demonstration of US leadership both internationally and through the federal example;
- US FAA is launching the third phase of its Continuous Lower Energy, Emissions and Noise programme by awarding over USD100 million for aircraft and engine companies to develop and demonstrate aircraft technologies that reduce fuel use, emissions, and noise.
The Administration plans to release an aviation climate action plan in the coming months, which will set forth a comprehensive plan for aviation. It added the actions will require “coordinated innovation and leadership from the Federal government, aircraft manufactures, airlines, fuel producers, and airports”. [more – original PR]