- Radisson aims to strengthen its extended stay value proposition as it ambitiously grows its serviced apartments portfolio across EMEA
- Mandarin Oriental to take over Riyadh’s Al Faisaliah Hotel in 2021
- Chicago’s Wanda Vista Hotel and Vista Tower to become St Regis Hotels & Resorts property
- Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- News briefs – bitesize updates of latest industry news and developments
Radisson aims to strengthen its extended stay value proposition as it ambitiously grows its serviced apartments portfolio across EMEA
Radisson Hotel Group has plans to more than double its serviced apartments portfolio within the next five years across EMEA. Today, serviced apartments represent around 10% of the Group’s EMEA portfolio with 45 properties and more than 5,400 units in operation and under development. Radisson operates its serviced apartments as a stand-alone or a mixed-use development in combination with a traditional hotel operation. Serviced apartments will now be developed as a brand extension of the existing brand portfolio to cater to the different segments from midscale to luxury. The expansion plan aims to double the portfolio in operation by 2025, recognising the attractive model of either combining both hotel and serviced apartments in one development or as a standalone operation, catering to customers looking for a residential atmosphere when travelling for leisure or on business for a short or longer period of stay. Building on the significant growth to date in much of the EMEA region, Radisson plans to open new serviced apartments units in Paris, Amsterdam, Dubai, Istanbul, Larnaca, Cortina, Cairo and Riyadh, with further openings planned in Germany.
Mandarin Oriental to take over Riyadh’s Al Faisaliah Hotel in 2021
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group has signed an agreement with the Al Khozama Company to manage and ultimately brand the Al Faisaliah Hotel, Riyadh. The Group will take over the management in the first quarter of 2021. The hotel is undergoing an extensive guestroom and public area renovation which will be completed at the end of 2021, after which it will be rebranded Mandarin Oriental Al Faisaliah, Riyadh. The property is in the heart of the Central Business District of Riyadh, providing easy access to corporate offices, government buildings, high end shopping, restaurants and cafes. It forms an integral part of the mixed-use Al Faisaliah Centre, designed by Foster & Partners. The hotel comprises 321 guestrooms and suites, with new interiors designed by Adam Tihany Design, New York. Also featured are a variety of refreshed restaurants, lounges and bars, including a popular top floor venue which commands outstanding views of the city.
Chicago’s Wanda Vista Hotel and Vista Tower to become St Regis Hotels & Resorts property
Marriott International signed an agreement with Magellan Development Group to introduce its iconic St. Regis Hotels & Resorts brand to Chicago. The project is anticipated to include 191 hotel rooms – including 33 spacious suites – and 393 branded residences within the 101-story building. Previously under construction as the luxury Wanda Vista Hotel and Vista Tower, the property is being rebranded as the St. Regis Chicago and the Residences at the St. Regis Chicago. Expected to welcome its first residents in Dec-2020 and hotel guests by Jul-2021, the project will serve as a key property in the neighbourhood given its unique architecture and ultra-luxury experience. Located downtown, The St. Regis Chicago will span a total of three towers within the sought-after Lakeshore East community. The vibrant area includes a mix of residential and corporate properties, all centrally anchored by a public park. The project offers expansive views and exposures overlooking over the Chicago River to the north, Lake Michigan to the east, Millennial and Grant Parks to the south and the Loop skyline to the west.
Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- Hotel performance data for Canada for the week ending 14-Nov-2020 showed slightly lower occupancy from the previous week continuing a declining trend. In comparison with the same week last year, occupancy was down -53.5% to 27.8%. This compares with 29.4% (week ending 07-Nov-2020), 29.2% (week ending 31-Oct-2020), and 31.1% (week ending 24-Oct-2020). Year-on-year ADR was down 25.9% to CAD110.36 and RevPAR fell -65.5% to CAD30.70. Nova Scotia recorded the highest occupancy level (35.0%) among the provinces, while Vancouver (29.0%) saw the highest occupancy level for the week.
- Hotel occupancy in the United States of America (USA) in the week ending 14-Nov-2020 slipped further from previous weeks. In comparison with the same week last year, occupancy was down -32.7% to 43.2%. After ranging between 48% and 50% occupancy from mid-July into the later portion of October, the last three weeks have produced levels of 44.4%, 44.1% and now 43.2%. Year-on-year ADR was down -28.6% to USD90.58 and RevPAR declined -52.0% to USD39.11. Aggregate data for the Top 25 Markets showed lower occupancy (39.7%) but higher ADR (USD96.31) than all other markets with Phoenix, Arizona (52.7%) the only one to reach or surpass 50% occupancy.
News briefs – bitesize updates of latest industry news and developments
- The Al Jaddaf Rotana Suite Hotel Dubai has become the 35th Rotana property in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The striking 318-room property comprises of 14 floors, creating a dramatic and eye-catching addition to the burgeoning Al Jaddaf district. The property offers an array of different room types, including king rooms, family rooms, twin rooms. It is also home to 248 three-, two- and one-bedroom suites.
- Pure Wellness has seen the installation of its new Pure Rooms at the Doubletree Orlando East University of Central Florida Area, a convenient property for attractions in the Orlando area and the closest hotel to the University of Central Florida. Pure Rooms utilise advanced anti-viral and anti-microbial technology to eliminate contaminants. The 7-step decontamination process reduces and protects against 99.99% of viruses, bacteria, allergens and other harmful particles. Pure Wellness maintains over 3,100 Pure Rooms in leading hotel brands across the country.
- Eldridge has completed the acquisition of the Hudson Hotel in New York City and Delano South Beach in Miami from sbe, and tasked its real estate investment business Cain International to lead a strategic repositioning of both assets as sbe will retain the Hudson and Delano brand names as part of the deal. The Hudson Hotel is an 878-key hotel located between 8th and 9th Avenues in Midtown Manhattan, while the191-key Delano South Beach is located on the famed Collins Avenue.
- St. Louis’ new Element by Westin property recently held a ribbon cutting to signify its official opening. Located at 3763 Forest Park Avenue, the USD40 million Element St. Louis Midtown is a seven-storey hotel with 153 extended stay rooms. Hotel developer Midas Hospitality will manage the property built by sister company Midas Construction. It is located directly across from the City Foundry STL and just three blocks from Cortex Innovation Community, a 200-acre home for business, innovation and technology.
- There will be a new arrival in the exclusive Gran Meliá family, an exceptional collection of premium hotels, after Meliá Hotels International and Generali Real Estate revealed plans to add a property in Milan in 2023. The 70-room, five-star hotel will be the result of the complete refurbishment and restoration of the historic Palazzo Venezia, one of the most recognisable buildings in Piazza Cordusio, just a few metres from Piazza del Duomo in the centre of Milan.
- Real estate specialist Wheelock Street Capital has acquired Hotel Contessa, a 265 room, all-suite and AAA Four-Diamond luxury, independent hotel located at 306 West Market Street in San Antonio, Texas. The 12-storey hotel, built in 2005, benefits from its central location along San Antonio’s highly sought-after Riverwalk with direct access to many of the city’s top cultural destinations. The hotel currently operates independent of a national brand affiliation and maintains an outsized transient base in one of the nation’s premier drive-to leisure markets. It will be managed and operated by HEI Hotels & Resorts.
- IHG Hotels & Resorts has confirmed the opening of new Crowne Plaza Warsaw - The HUB and Holiday Inn Express Warsaw - The HUB properties in the heart of the dynamically developing business district, Rondo Daszyńskiego in Poland’s capital city. The hotels will form part of The Warsaw HUB, a newly built modern business complex by Ghelamco Poland, that offers a unique combination of office and retail space, a conference centre and two hotels. The Crowne Plaza contains 212 rooms, while the adjacent Holiday Inn Express has 218.
- Sirenis Hotels & Resorts is targeting the MICE market with its seafront located The Ibiza Twiins property on the Balearic island better known for its nightlife. The four-star resort is to be found in the internationally known Playa d'en Bossa, just 10 minutes from the international airport and UNESCO World Heritage site of Ibiza port. It is made up of twin towers Joy & Life, which house 495 rooms and suites all featuring different styles and outdoor terrace, symbolising the lively and vibrant lifestyle of the most cosmopolitan island in the world.
- The Crowne Plaza White Plains Downtown will rebrand as Sonesta White Plains Downtown following a transfer of management to Sonesta International Hotels Corporation, effective 01-Dec-2020. This move comes as a result of a transaction with Service Properties Trust to transfer the branding and management of 103 hotels to Sonesta from InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG). Located on Hale Avenue in downtown White Plains, N.Y., the property is a popular destination for social gatherings and corporate events/conferences.
- In early 2021, London’s Le Méridien Piccadilly will become The Dilly, an independently owned and operated hotel. The historic hotel dates back to 1908 and the transformation over the coming months and years will see The Dilly defined by its London location, style and connections. The property’s owners – Archer Hotel Capital – made the decision to operate The Dilly as an independent hotel when the management contract with Marriott International expired. Axiom Hospitality will manage The Dilly on behalf of Archer. The property houses 283 rooms and suites and renovations have begun ahead of its renaming.
- Located in the heart of Buckinghamshire’s vast Langley Park in the United Kingdom and just a short drive from central London, The Langley, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Buckinghamshire will reopen to guests this week. The property offers an exclusive country retreat at a secluded location in former royal hunting grounds. The hotel boasts 41 guest rooms, spread between the grand and historic former hunting lodge of the third Duke of Marlborough, and adjacent Grade II-listed 18th century Brew House.
- The TownePlace Suites by Marriott Fall River Westport has opened providing 90 suites for guests at a location off Interstate 195, driving distance to Boston, Plymouth, Cape Cod, Newport, and Providence. The hotel also home the new corporate office for Lafrance Hospitality, who owns and manages the property on a campus that also includes a 130-room Hampton Inn by Hilton and a 20,000 square foot event centre.