- Scandic Hotels takes on 15-year lease of closed hotel at Stockholm Arlanda Airport under revenue-based terms
- Marriott International signs agreement to bring four new landmark properties to Thailand
- Radisson brings its fourth brand to South Africa with new upscale Johannesburg Radisson Hotel & Convention Centre property
- Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- News briefs – bitesize updates of latest industry news and developments
Scandic Hotels takes on 15-year lease of closed hotel at Stockholm Arlanda Airport under revenue-based terms
Scandic Hotels has signed an agreement to take over the operation of a 150-room hotel at Arlandastad in close proximity to Stockholm Arlanda Airport and with direct access to the new international meeting and event centre, Scandinavian XPO. It has reached an agreement with property owner Arlandastad Holding regarding a 15-year lease agreement for the former First Hotel Arlanda. The hotel was built in 2015 but has been closed in recent months following the bankruptcy of the hotel operator. The property will reopen on 10-Jan-2021 as the Scandic Arlandastad under a revenue-based lease agreement that provides a reasonable risk distribution between Scandic and Arlandastad Holding in the current business environment. The hotel is just five minutes from Stockholm Arlanda Airport and right in the center of the growing Airport City Stockholm development. Arlandastad is an expansive area where the new meeting and event centre, Scandinavian XPO, will open in 2021. It is also home to DRIVELAB Stockholm, one of Northern Europe’s most prominent meeting places for the automotive industry.
Marriott International signs agreement to bring four new landmark properties to Thailand
Marriott International has signed a milestone agreement with Asset World Corp to add four new landmark properties under three of its brands in Thailand. The multi-property agreement features a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, Thailand’s first JW Marriott Marquis hotel in Bangkok and two Autograph Collection hotels, set to debut the Autograph Collection brand in the country. In total they will add 1,638 rooms to its portfolio in the country. The Ritz-Carlton Reserve, Bangkok at Asiatique the Riverfront is targeted to open by 2027 in Bangkok’s newly revamped Asiatique The Riverfront. Serving as a private, ultra-luxury boutique urban resort set on the scenic curve of the Chao Phraya River it will house 124 guest rooms. The JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Asiatique Bangkok is similarly due to open in 2027. Featuring over 1,000 rooms, functional meeting spaces, and a Spa it is is expected to deliver a mindfulness haven to the Thai capital set on the Chao Phraya River. The Asiatique Bangkok, Autograph Collection hotel and Aquatique Pattaya, Autograph Collection hotel are targeted to open by 2024, debuting the Autograph Collection of independent hotel brand in Thailand. Located at Asiatique The Riverfront and resort town at Aquatique, respectively, they will house 200 and 306 room with the latter set alongside the Pattaya Marriott Marquis Hotel and JW Marriott The Pattaya Beach Resort & Spa, both still under development.
Radisson brings its fourth brand to South Africa with new upscale Johannesburg Radisson Hotel & Convention Centre property
Radisson Hotel Group is celebrating the debut of its fourth brand in South Africa, the upscale Radisson, with the opening of Radisson Hotel & Convention Centre, Johannesburg, O.R. Tambo. This new addition further strengthens the group’s presence in one of its key African markets and brings the South African portfolio to 16 hotels in operation and under development. Located in an exclusive private location in Bredell tucked away from city life, Radisson Hotel & Convention Centre, Johannesburg, O.R. Tambo offers a peaceful stay with an array of exclusive facilities and services to satisfy the needs of both business and leisure guests. As its name suggests, the hotel is a short 10-minute drive away from O.R. Tambo International Airport and is conveniently situated close to a range of activities and attractions including the nearby shopping malls, local coffee shops and restaurants and Kempton Park Golf Course, designed by Grimsdell & Kerr. This upscale, full-service hotel features 248 contemporary rooms all offering home comforts alongside multiple on-site dining options. For business conferences it has the capacity for up to 1,260 guests in the main hall and as well as six breakaway rooms, various smaller conference venues, translation booths, lounges, board rooms, and a restaurant.
Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- Hotels in Canada showed slightly higher occupancy in the week ending 24-Oct-2020, but while this was higher than the previous week it was still lower than prior weeks. The level, 31.1%, down -55.6% on the comparable week last year, compares favourably the week ending 17-Oct-2020 (29.9%), but still worse than the week ending 10-Oct-2020 (32.2%) and the week ending 03-Oct-2020 (34.0%). In year-on-year comparisons ADR was down -28.7% to CAD112.33 and RevPAR down -68.4% to CAD34.89. For the analysis week British Columbia recorded the highest occupancy level (40.2%) among the provinces, while Vancouver (35.7%) was the only major market at or above a 30% occupancy level.
- Hotel occupancy in the United States of America (USA) fell back below the 50% mark in the week ending 24-Oct-2020, slipping to 48.0% following a year-on-year decline of almost a third (-31.7%) versus the comparable week last year. ADR also declined -29.4% to USD95.49, while RevPAR fell -51.8% to USD45.83. Aggregate data for the Top 25 Markets showed lower occupancy (43.2%) but higher ADR (USD99.81) than all other markets for the analysis week. Four reached or surpassed 50% occupancy: Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Virginia (54.1%); Tampa/St. Petersburg, Florida (53.8%); Phoenix, Arizona (53.6%); and Atlanta, Georgia (50.2%), while Oahu Island, Hawaii (23.4%), and Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota-Wisconsin (33.9%) had the lowest occupancy levels.
News briefs – bitesize updates of latest industry news and developments
- Casa Andina Hotels and Viva Air Peru have partnered to stimulate the Peruvian tourism sector. With this new agreement, Viva Air Peru passengers can receive up to 40% discount on their hotel accommodation costs and a discount on their ticket costs.
- Dusit International has signed a hotel management agreement with property developer Yasuda Real Estate Co. Ltd to bring its first hotel to Japan. The Dusit Thani Kyoto is set to open in 2023 in the Honganji Monzen-machi district, just 850 metres from Kyoto Station. The four-storey building will feature 150 rooms and offer convenient access to various attractions, including UNESCO World Heritage Site Nishi Honganji Temple.
- The new Hilton Mall of Istanbul has opened its doors to guests, becoming one of the closest five-star hotels to the new Istanbul Airport. The 175-room hotel is located within the same compound as Mall of Istanbul, Turkey’s largest shopping and entertainment centre and has direct subway access to the Masko station along the Ataköy-İkitelli Metro line to open next year. The property is owned by Torunlar REIC and operated by its 100subsidiary TRN Hotel Management Company under the management consultancy of Access Hospitality, Development & Consulting.
- Hotelbeds has announced an extension of its existing agreement to provide curated accommodation inventory to Air Canada Vacations. Building on over ten years of working together, the significantly expanded partnership will provide Air Canada Vacations with a one-stop shop for customers to browse and book travel packages – with a domestic accommodation inventory covering the entire country and more than 1,200 hotels throughout Canada.
- InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) has launched a new loyalty partnership with world-renowned travel club and boutique hotel specialists Mr & Mrs Smith to provide IHG Rewards members an even wider selection of luxury and lifestyle hotels to indulge in while they earn and redeem points. Through the partnership the first selection of over 400 handpicked Mr & Mrs Smith hotels are available to book by IHG Rewards members through IHG’s direct channels. New hotels will be added each week, with the full selection of stylish properties available to book by early Dec-2020.
- Morpho Hotels & Resorts, a trendy, business, luxury lifestyle brand has announced its official brand entry into the Middle East market, and it will soon open its doors to the UAE residents and tourists in 2021. Inspired by the evolution of technology, the group will introduce five new properties to cater to three types of travellers, ‘Morpho’ for business, ‘Crystal’ for lifestyle and ‘Vivid’ for luxury travellers.
- Nordic Choice Hotels has launched a new digital product, powered by MeetingPackage, enabling customers to book their meetings and conferences directly online. After a successful pilot across nine hotels in Stockholm the solution has now been rolled out across the Nordic region at more than 70 Nordic Choice Hotels with more to follow.
- The Pamunkey Indian Tribe has announced the pairing of HKS, a firm with worldwide experience, designing some of the most iconic entertainment and hospitality projects in the United States and abroad, with Baskervill, an architecture firm with extensive knowledge of the Hampton Roads region, to design the USD500 million Norfolk Resort & Casino. The project got the green light in a referendum this week and will include a 300-room hotel, entertainment venue, spa, pool, multiple restaurants and a gaming floor that boasts 3,000 slots and 150 table games.
- Radisson Hotel Group has opened the first Park Inn by Radisson property in Riyadh, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’s capital city. The opening of the hotel strengthens the brand’s presence in Saudi Arabia to nine hotels, and brings the group’s portfolio across the country to over 45 hotels, resorts and serviced apartments in operation and under development. Located in the Al Malaz business district, the hotel features 192 contemporary rooms and suites.
- The Radisson Hotel Diamond Barranquilla has emerged from the former Park Inn by Radisson Diamond Barranquilla following a renovation that included updating the lobby and guest rooms. Located in the heart of the popular port city known for its extravagant Carnival celebrations, this upscale Colombian hotel includes 132 modern guest rooms and suites all equipped with free Wi-Fi and city views.
- The new Rydges Gold Coast Airport property brings a new style of airport hotel offering the convenience of location as well as and a “destination within a destination” offering, according to its general manager, Luke Harley. The resort-themed hotel has opened on the doorstep of the Gold Coast Airport terminal and a stone’s throw from Kirra Beach. The seven-level hotel comprises 192 rooms, as well as two restaurants, two bars, function space and a top floor gym.
- SiteMinder has launched the SiteMinder Partner Programme to bring out the strength of the local advisory community for hotels as it continues to address the fragmentation across the hotel industry worldwide. The new programme allows hotel advisors and property management system (PMS) vendors access to critical training, educational resources and dedicated online support from SiteMinder to provide a more holistic offering to their hotel clients.
- The Sofitel Dubai The Obelisk, described as “a sophisticated and chic address in the epicenter of luxury” has opened in the iconic Dubai Wafi destination, the largest Sofitel property in the Middle East and Africa region. The Obelisk boasts 595 rooms, suites and serviced residences, designed for discerning tech-savvy business travellers and leisure seekers.
- The Langham, Melbourne will resume operation on 09-Nov-2020 as it reopens with a limited accommodation rooms and private dining option. The five-star luxury property located on the city’s Southbank Promenade contains 387 guestrooms and suites. Meanwhile, its sister The Langham, Sydney property has launched a new workcation package offering a day room (8am and 6pm), lunch and access to its exclusive swimming pool and Health Club facilities.