Air France postponed the resumption of daily Paris CDG-Hong Kong service to 05-Dec-2022, according to OAG and the CAPA Route Changes Database. As previously reported by CAPA, the carrier was scheduled to resume the service from 05-Sep-2022.
News for Asia
Flight Centre Travel Group (FCTG) corporate MD Australia and New Zealand Melissa Elf stated: "Asia is proving slow to return with China still locked down", as well as Japan being "very restricted", however, "other than that, corporate volumes are well exceeding our expectations, especially in Australia, where business travellers are busting to get back on the road" (Australian Financial Review, 29-Aug-2022). Ms Elf noted that the corporate business of Flight Centre Travel Group has reached 89% of pre-coronavirus levels.
Thai AirAsia X announced (29-Aug-2022) plans to launch four times weekly Bangkok Suvarnabhumi-Sydney service from 02-Dec-2022 with 377 seat A330 aircraft. Acting CEO Tassapon Bijleveld stated: "Having recently resumed services to South Korea and Japan, we are thrilled that we are now expanding to Sydney and Melbourne as our next key growth markets". [more - original PR] [more - original PR - Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport]
Thai AirAsia X announced (29-Aug-2022) plans to launch three times weekly Bangkok Suvarnabhumi-Melbourne service from 01-Dec-2022 with 377 seat A330 aircraft. Acting CEO Tassapon Bijleveld stated: "Having recently resumed services to South Korea and Japan, we are thrilled that we are now expanding to Sydney and Melbourne as our next key growth markets". [more - original PR]
All Nippon Airways announced (23-Aug-2022) the suspension or reduction of the following international passenger services, effective 30-Oct-2022 to 25-Mar-2023:
- Tokyo Haneda-San Jose: Launch postponed;
- Tokyo Narita-Dusseldorf: Suspended;
- Tokyo Haneda-Stockholm: Launch postponed;
- Tokyo Haneda-Milan: Launch postponed;
- Tokyo Haneda-Istanbul: Launch postponed;
- Tokyo Haneda-Moscow: Launch postponed;
- Tokyo Narita-Vladivostok: Suspended;
- Tokyo Narita-Perth: Suspended;
- Tokyo Narita-Chennai: Suspended;
- Tokyo Narita-Yangon: Suspended;
- Tokyo Haneda-Bangkok: Reduced from three times to twice daily;
- Tokyo Narita-Phnom Penh: Suspended;
- Osaka Kansai-Hong Kong: Suspended;
- Tokyo Narita-Taiwan Taoyuan: Suspended. [more - original PR]
Singapore Changi Airport, via its official website, reported (22-Aug-2022) the following traffic highlights for Jul-2022:
- Passengers: 3.3 million, -44% compared to Jul-2019;
- Cargo: 163,000 tonnes, -4%;
- Aircraft movements: 20,300, -37%.
Emirates Airline scheduled to resume daily Dubai-Auckland service using A380-800 equipment from 01-Dec-2022, according to OAG. The service replaces daily Dubai-Kuala Lumpur-Auckland service using Boeing 777-300ER equipment. No other carriers are scheduled to operate the route.
AirPlus International reported (16-Aug-2022) German demand for business travel "continues unabated", however the COVID-19 pandemic has "permanently changed" certain travel habits. Highlights for German business travel in 2022 include:
- The average trip length has increased from five days in 2019 to 6.3 in 1H2022. Intercontinental trips increased from 11.6 days in the pre-pandemic period to 14.5 days in 2022, while one day short trips which previously accounted for 17% of business trips declined to 7%;
- European destinations have accounted for 50% of business travel in 2022, increased from 38% in 2019. Companies have booked more business class tickets, increasing to 13% from 9% in 2019. On domestic services in particular, the share of business class travellers increased from 5% in 2019 to 12%;
- Spain, India and Mexico replaced China, Russia and the UK as the top destinations for business travellers. The US remained the top intercontinental destination;
- Companies are booking airline tickets at less short notice, at an average of 21.4 days before travel. The figure had been 24 days in 2019, and dropped to 16.3 days in 2021;
- Currently 81% of Germans travelling for business are men, the same level as 2019. The figure reached 87% in 2021.
CEO Oliver Wagner stated: "The trend toward longer business trips is an indication that sustainability is becoming increasingly important for companies", noting different appointments are being handled in one trip. The company also attributed the increased trip length to the combination of business with private trips. Mr Wagner added the group is observing a strong catch up effect for face to face encounters and noted "booking figures for the coming months indicate that the recovery in business travel will continue". [more - original PR - English/German]
Cathay Pacific launched (17-Aug-2022) its elevated Cathay membership programme, bringing together its Marco Polo Club and Asia Miles under one membership programme, effective 17-Aug-2022. Members will earn and redeem Asia Miles and Status Points, formerly known as Marco Polo Points. Under the elevated membership programme, members will also be able to access Cathay curated lifestyle offerings and experiences in payment, dining, shopping, holidays and wellness, with more than 800 partners. [more - original PR]
Malaysia Airlines launched (14-Aug-2022) twice weekly Kuala Lumpur-Tokyo Haneda service with 290 seat A330-300 aircraft. The route will complement the carrier's existing service to Tokyo Narita Airport. [more - original PR]