The Corporate Travel Community (CTC) brings you the second of this week’s round up of some of the latest accommodation news from across the globe.
- Cycas Hospitality continues its expansion across Europe with the opening of the first Hyatt Place and Hyatt House branded hotels in France
- LOTTE Hotels & Resorts opens its 12 international property and third in the US
- Radisson’s upper-midscale Park Inn brand debuts in Malaysia
- Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- News briefs – bitesize updates of latest industry news and developments
Cycas Hospitality continues its expansion across Europe with the opening of the first Hyatt Place and Hyatt House branded hotels in France
Hotel operator Cycas Hospitality will defy the downturn with ten new hotel openings, 1,975 rooms and six new brands planned across Europe over the next six months, starting in Paris with the dual-branded Hyatt Place and Hyatt House hotel. The new property is located close to Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris Nord 2 International Business Park and represents the introduction of Hyatt’s select service brands to France and the global brand’s first dual-branded project in mainland Europe. The Hyatt House hotel also becomes the area’s first extended-stay accommodation offering. The combination of the 309-room Hyatt Place Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport hotel under the same roof as the 121-suite Hyatt House Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport will ensure corporate and leisure guests can choose the space that best fits their travel needs while taking advantage of both hotels’ joint facilities. The five-storey development incorporates an indoor pool, gym, extensive 24-hour dining offerings and 450 square meeting of high-tech meeting and event space.
LOTTE Hotels & Resorts opens its 12 international property and third in the US
It is now ten years since the opening of LOTTE Hotel Moscow in Sep-2010 and LOTTE Hotels & Resorts is continuing its expansion with the opening last month of the LOTTE Hotel Seattle, its 12 international property which spreads across seven countries. This third hotel in the US follows a joint investment with Hana Financial Investment in Dec-2019 and becomes the fourth international chain hotel LOTTE has been tasked to operate, after LOTTE City Hotel Tashkent Palace, LOTTE Hotel Yangon and LOTTE Hotel Samara. Located on Fifth Avenue, LOTTE Hotel Seattle has a total of 189 rooms (including 33 suites) on the first to 16th floor of a 44-storey building. Guest rooms feature creative and modern designs inspired by Seattle’s natural landscape and offer a lively and bright atmosphere.
Radisson’s upper-midscale Park Inn brand debuts in Malaysia
Radisson Hotel Group has confirmed its upper-midscale Park Inn by Radisson brand has made its debut in Malaysia with the launch of a brand-new hotel in the heart of the country’s most vibrant commercial and economic triangle. Welcoming its first guests from 01-Oct-2020 the Park Inn by Radisson Putrajaya is well positioned for business and leisure travellers alike with Putrajaya, Malaysia’s administrative capital city, just 20 minutes’ drive away, Kuala Lumpur, the country’s largest city and federal capital, only 30 minutes away by road, while Malaysia’s main international airport, KLIA, is also just 20 minutes away. The hotel features 220 rooms and suites, all of which are fully connected with free Wi-Fi, international power outlets and USB ports. The onsite restaurant, RBG, serves local and international dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with a lively open kitchen vibe and a choice of indoor and alfresco seating.
Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- Hotel performance in Canada for the week commencing 13-Sep-2020 showed slightly lower performance from prior weeks with year-on-year declines also worsening. In comparison with the week commencing 15-Sep-2019, occupancy fell -52.8% to 37.0% (down from 39.8%, 41.9% and 42.1% the previous weeks), ADR declined -32.2% to CAD121.94 and RevPAR fell -68.0% to CAD45.17. British Columbia (46.5%) was the only province to reach or surpass a 40% occupancy level, while among the major markets, Vancouver saw the highest occupancy level (35.3%).
- United States of America (USA) hotel occupancy was nearly flat from the previous week in the week commencing 13-Sep-2020. In comparison with the week commencing 15-Sep-2019, occupancy fell -31.9% to 48.6%, ADR declined -28.9% to USD95.84 and RevPAR was down -51.6% to USD46.54. Demand rose slightly (+0.3%), and the highest occupancy markets were once again those housing displaced residents from Hurricane Laura and western wildfires, with California South/Central showing the highest level in the metric (74.7%). The Louisiana South (72.8%) and Louisiana North (72.3%) markets were also among the top five highest occupancy levels for the week.
- The Detroit Foundation Hotel reopened its doors on04-Oct-2020 after temporary closure due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The property, located in the former Detroit Fire Department Headquarters, has been credited with spurring Downtown Detroit’s revitalisation and opens with enhanced sanitation and safety protocols.
- The Grand Universe Lucca, Autograph Collection will open to guests on 01-Dec-2020. Standing stylishly and overlooking Piazza del Giglio and Piazza Napoleone, the former 16th century palazzo will debut a masterfully renovated design, fueled by an arts and music-focused concept that is evocative of the city’s past and present. The property will house 55 rooms and suites, an elegant fine dining restaurant, a lounge area with a classical piano anchoring the space, a rooftop bar with stunning city views, and a unique wine tasting cellar set among the remnants of an ancient wall.
- Hotelbeds has announced a strategic partnership with Thomas Cook, the new online-only holiday business launched recently following the acquisition of the brand by Fosun Tourism Group. The collaboration will provide Thomas Cook with access to more than 180,000 unique hotel properties in 140 countries worldwide.
- International WELL Building Institute (IWBI), a public benefit corporation focused on the ways buildings and spaces can help protect people’s health and well-being has launched the WELL Health-Safety Rating for Facility Operations and Management and is targeting hotels. It is an evidence-based, third-party verified rating for all new and existing building and space types focused on operational policies, maintenance protocols, emergency plans and stakeholder engagement strategies to help organisations prepare their spaces for re-entry in a post Covid-19 environment.
- The fully Estonian-owned independent L’Embitu property opened its doors to guests on 01-Oct-2020 in Tallinn. The 125-room luxury facility boasts a prime, central location near the city’s historic Old Town as well as popular shopping centres and restaurants and will be an attractive option for business travellers to the Baltic capital.
- Minor Hotels has announced the reopening of its portfolio of five island resorts in the Maldives. Having closed their doors back in April due to the global pandemic, the properties are once again welcoming guests, introducing a range of new facilities and experiences as well as enhancements to ensure the health and wellbeing of all guests. These comprise the Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas, Anantara Dhigu Maldives Resort, Anantara Veli Maldives Resort, Naladhu Private Island and Niyama Private Islands properties.
- Trip.com chairman and co founder James Liang revealed late month that searches for Macau tourism related products “skyrocketed” +500% on 23-Sep-2020, when Macau resumed issuing individual visas for residents of mainland China, while Macau hotel bookings increased sevenfold from 22-Sep-2020 on the Qunar.com platform. Shanghai, Beijing, Chengdu, Hangzhou, Xiamen were identified as the top departure cities for Chinese travellers travelling to Macau, with Mr Liang forecasting Macau tourism will recover by 80%-90% by Nov-2020 or Dec-2020.
- The construction of YOTELPAD Park City is on track for completion and opening for business November 2020, in time for the 2020/2021 ski season. Developed by Replay Destinations in Canyons Village at the base of Park City Mountain Resort, YOTELPAD Park City will be the newest hotel to open in Park City and the first YOTELPAD concept to open globally. The condominium residences include “technology and design innovations that create affordable, liveable residences” at one of North America’s most sought-after mountain resort destinations.