CTC – Corporate Travel Community brings you a round up of some of the latest accommodation and hospitality news from across the globe.
- Hyatt Regency Phnom Penh becomes second Hyatt property in Cambodia
- Hilton’s luxury LXR Hotels & Resorts brand arrives in the US
- IHG brings voco brand to Strasbourg, the picturesque capital of the French Alsace region
- Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- News briefs – bitesize updates of latest industry news and developments
Hyatt Regency Phnom Penh becomes second Hyatt property in Cambodia
Hyatt Hotels Corporation has celebrated the opening of Hyatt Regency Phnom Penh, the first Hyatt hotel in the Cambodian capital and the second Hyatt hotel operating in Cambodia. The 247-room property is the largest hotel from a global brand in the city and is located in the heart of the cultural and business district of Doun Penh, which is a 30-minute drive from the airport and within walking distance to the Royal Palace, National Museum and the riverside. The property has been conceived by Singapore-based SCDA Architects and Thailand-based PIA Interior, and its stylish interior reflects Cambodia’s history, blending Khmer architectural accents with French colonial influences. As guests pull into the hotel’s driveway, they are greeted with a welcoming centerpiece, a beautiful French heritage building flanked by frangipani trees. Originally built as a Colonial villa in the early 20th century, the restored lemon-coloured Colonial House with wooden shutters, arched doorways and terracotta-tiled roof now serves as the hotel’s entrance, providing guests with a nostalgic arrival experience. Behind the Colonial House stands the newly-constructed, 14-storey main building, featuring 247 guestrooms, including 43 residential-style suites, all with hardwood floors and marble bathrooms. Business guests staying on the 10th floor can access the Regency Club Lounge where they can enjoy dedicated check-in and check-out services, daily breakfast, evening hors d’oeuvres, and complimentary drinks alongside panoramic city views with indoor or outdoor seating.
Hilton’s luxury LXR Hotels & Resorts brand arrives in the US
LXR Hotels & Resorts represents a collection of independent luxury properties that each embody their location and offer a travel experience native to its place, history, and tradition. Found in the world’s most alluring destinations, the brand has now made its debut in the US with the addition of the recently redesigned Oceana hotel, an intimate 70-room coastal oasis situated along the coveted beach district of Santa Monica. The independent property is owned and operated by JRK Property Holdings and is tucked into an exclusive, residential enclave just steps from the pristine Santa Monica, Californian coast. The Oceana joins the growing collection of more than 10 open or soon-to-be-open LXR properties in some of the world’s most sought-after destinations. These include the Biltmore Mayfair in London’s esteemed Grosvenor Square, Zemi Beach House on the white sands of Anguilla, Roku Kyoto along the foothills of the Takagamine Mountains in Japan, the Mango House Seychelles in the east Indian Ocean, Crockfords Las Vegas in the heart of the Strip, and more set to be announced soon.
IHG brings voco brand to Strasbourg, the picturesque capital of the French Alsace region
IHG Hotels & Resorts has confirmed the opening of voco Strasbourg Centre – The Garden, marking the brand’s second opening in France, following the opening of voco Paris Montparnasse in September last year. As one of IHG’s newest hotel brands, voco combines the reassurance of a global brand while celebrating the informality and charm of an individual hotel. The brand has seen extraordinary growth since launching only two and a half years ago. There are already 15 hotels open globally and a further 23 due to open in the next 3-5 years. Strasbourg has a lot to offer those who are looking for a weekend break or to extend their business trip. Strasbourg Cathedral and the canals of Petite France on the UNESCO-listed Grande Île, are just a short walk from the property, which is less than a ten-minute walk from the city’s central station. The European Parliament is also a short electric bus ride away, with easy access to the newly developed Archipel-Wacken business district and the Palais des Congrès convention centre. The façade of voco Strasbourg Centre – The Garden takes its design cues from the industrial era, with the original brickwork dating from the 19th Century highlighted using wrought iron. A nod to voco Hotels’ green spirit, the hotel’s name outside is surrounded by vegetal details in the shape of ferns in the ironwork. The inside of the hotel diverges from the industrial feel of the exterior and expands on the garden theme with each of the 120 guest rooms, many with their own terraces, blending a botanically inspired palette, with panelling and contrast lighting.
Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- In Belgium in Nov-2020, occupancy and RevPAR fell to their lowest levels since May-2020, while ADR was the lowest for any month this year. In comparison with Nov-2019, occupancy declined -82.9% to 13.1%, ADR was down -32.8% to EUR77.80 and RevPAR fell -88.5% to EUR10.21.
- In India in Nov-2020, the occupancy level was the highest for any month since Feb-2020, while the ADR and RevPAR levels were the highest since Mar-2020. In comparison with Nov-2019, occupancy was down -50.% to 36.4%, ADR declined -33.7% to INR4,232.57 and RevPAR fell -66.8% to INR1,540.21.
- In Oman in Nov-2020, occupancy and RevPAR levels were the highest since Mar-2020, while ADR was slightly lower than Oct-2020. In comparison with Nov-2019, occupancy was down -66.0% to 24.1%, ADR declined -45.2% to OMR33.81 and RevPAR fell -81.4% to OMR8.15.
- In Peru in Nov-2020, each of the three key performance metrics were up from Oct-2020 levels. In comparison with Nov-2019, occupancy was down -35.7% to 42.1%, ADR declined -51.3% to PEN199.25 and RevPAR fell -68.7% to PEN83.88.
- The United States of America hotel industry showed lower performance from the month prior in Nov-2020 with each of the three key performance metrics down on Oct-2020. In comparison with Nov-2019, occupancy was down -34.5% to 40.3%, ADR declined -27.7% to USD90.92 and RevPAR fell -52.6% to USD36.67.
News briefs – bitesize updates of latest industry news and developments
- BeyondTV, a full-service provider of guestroom entertainment services and solutions for the hospitality industry, has launched a certification program in Italy that will provide the county’s LG Business Solutions dealership network with the ability to offer BeyondTV GuestCast to hotel customers.
- Cambria Hotels continues its expansion across the United States with the opening of the Cambria Hotel Detroit-Shelby Township. This marks the brand’s fifth new hotel since Jun-2020, joining properties in Greenville, South Carolina; Madeira Beach, Florida; Ocean City, Maryland; and Sonoma, California . The four-storey, 98-room hotel is the brand’s second hotel to open in Michigan, joining the Cambria Hotel Traverse City, while the Cambria Hotel Detroit Downtown is expected to open next year.
- Choice Hotels International has awarded franchise agreements to Gulf Coast Hotel Management to convert 15 MainStay Suites hotels in major markets across the US, the largest multi-unit transaction in the brand’s history. These properties, which have already begun welcoming guests, significantly increase the brand’s foothold in the midscale extended stay segment. These 15 hotels combined add nearly 1,700 rooms to the Choice Hotels portfolio.
- Colton House Hotel, a new 80-suite luxury property, has opens its doors on Austin’s hip South Congress Avenue. Drawing inspiration from its distinctive surroundings, the property showcases the captivating spirit of the Lone Star State and pays due respect to Texas’s rich history through locally handpicked art and design features. All suites range from 460 – 1,170 square feet, significantly larger than a standard hotel room. Studios, one-, two- and three- bedroom suites are well equipped with a full modern kitchen or kitchenette, living room, and many include in-room washers and dryers.
- The Grand Hotel Sunnyvale in Silicon Valley has announced an upcoming USD25 million annex will be completed by -1-Jun-2021. The 60,000 square foot addition will span four floors with 51 new rooms, two meeting spaces, and a new gym. In total, the hotel will offer 155 rooms and private villas, three indoor meeting spaces that can accommodate up to 80, an outdoor events space for up to 150, outdoor heated pool.
- Autograph Collection Hotels, part of Marriott International, has announced the highly anticipated opening of former 16th Century Palazzo, Grand Universe Lucca, Autograph Collection. The 55-guestroom boutique hotel, complete with nine unique suites, joins the brand’s diverse and dynamic growing portfolio around the world, championing values of vision, design and craft. Previously a Palazzo of the Paoli family during the Renaissance, the site was originally transformed into a unique hotel in 1857, which became famous for hosting poets, philosophers and artists from around the world.
- Okura Nikko Hotel Management has confirmed plans for the opening of the Hotel Okura Vladivostok in the second half of 2021, the first Japanese-run hotel in the Russian Pacific port city. The property will be located near the Golden Bridge and will offer 221 rooms, including 31 suites.
- InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) will bring two of its world-renowned brands to the English city of Nottingham after signing a management agreement with Conygar, the developer behind The Island Quarter development. IHG will be bringing its upscale boutique hotel brand Hotel Indigo as well as its extended stay offering, Staybridge Suites to the city as part of the multi-million-pound scheme that will transform this gateway area of Nottingham.
- Jurny, a hospitality tech company pioneering the next generation of tech-first, on-demand accommodations, has expanded into the European serviced apartment and aparthotel market with its first location in London. Through strategic partnerships with industry-leading consultancy firm The MRP Group and London-based Clockwork Group, Jurny will integrate its proprietary technology to streamline operations at Clockwork’s property located in the heart of London’s historic Square Mile legal and financial district.
- Summer Island Maldives, Embudu Village, and Equator Village have all received a Gold Certificate for their health, safety and hygiene measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The three properties, located in North and South Male’ atolls, and Addu atoll respectively, are owned by Kaimoo Resorts and Hotels, a Maldivian owned tourism company based in Male’.
- Malmaison will open a new property in the historic English city of York. It is breathing new life into a converted landmark in York, the Aviva insurance building, to develop a stylish 150 room property, the first of its hotels to offer a separate SkyBar, in addition to the iconic Chez Mal Brasserie & Bar. Situated on the corner of Rougier Street, the hotel is a stone’s throw away from of some of the city’s most famous attractions.
- Saira Hospitality has confirmed its first permanent hospitality school in collaboration with The Monastery Boutique Hotel in Wheeling, West Virginia. It is set to launch in spring 2021. The school aims to educate hospitality brands in how to give before they take, create stronger bonds with locals and disrupt the industry’s traditional recruitment processes which tend to overlook locals in favour of international applicants or poaching from competitors.
- The 108-room Residence Inn by Marriott La Quinta opened its doors in Dec-2020. The Californian all-suite property will operate as a Marriott franchise, owned by LQ Hospitality Group and managed by Sunridge Hotel Group. The property is situated in the Coachella Valley, less than 10 minutes from Old Town.
- RLH Corporation has re-engaged with Duetto, hospitality’s software as a service provider of revenue strategy solutions, to roll out real-time revenue optimization across its portfolio.It has started the redeployment of Duetto’s pricing application, GameChanger, and its reporting and forecasting tool, ScoreBoard, across its owned and leased hotels.
- St Regis Hotels & Resorts, part of Marriott International, has confirmed the opening of the St Regis Cairo. Rising on the banks of the River Nile, the 39-storey hotel offers easy access to the magnificent monuments of a city steeped in history. It includes 286 rooms and suites and 80 luxurious apartments.
- Hotel investment and management platform Peachtree Hotel Group(PHG) has entered into a strategic partnership with family-owned hotel owner, developer and operator Zenique Hotels. Under the terms of the agreement, Peachtree Hospitality Management, PHG’s operational division, will manage Zenique’s current portfolio of four hotels. The strategic partnership also makes PHM the operator of all Zenique’s future hotels as it continues to grow nationwide.