CTC – Corporate Travel Community brings you a round up of some of the latest accommodation and hospitality news from across the globe. Here’s our second offering of the week.
- Radisson upscale brand makes its debut in Morocco after Casablanca signing
- IHG strengthens footprint in Punjab with Jalandhar Holiday Inn Express and Suites signing
- Ascott opens Japan’s first lyf coliving property in Fukuoka City
- New St Somewhere boutique resort collection born from industry collaboration
- Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- News briefs – bitesize updates of latest industry news and developments
Radisson upscale brand makes its debut in Morocco after Casablanca signing
The Scandinavian-inspired, upscale brand, Radisson, will make its Moroccan debut with a new build, hotel in Casablanca, consisting of contemporary superior rooms and suites. The Radisson Hotel Casablanca Gauthier La Citadelle, which is scheduled to open in 2023 and will consist of 133 guestrooms and suites, marks the second Radisson brand to be introduced to the North African country and the group’s third property. Construction is already underway of the property which is being developed in partnership with Al Hoceinia Hospitality. Located in the heart of Casablanca’s vibrant and exclusive Gauthier district, one of the prominent corporate, financial and entertainment districts, the hotel will be just 2.5 kilometres away from the glistening La Corniche, the charming Old Medina, and Hassan II Mosque, the second largest mosque in the world. The hotel will offer a unique view over the Arab League Park and will also form part of La Citadelle, a new, premium mixed-use development which will comprise of residences, offices and retail outlets.
IHG strengthens footprint in Punjab with Jalandhar Holiday Inn Express and Suites signing
IHG Hotels & Resorts has signed a management agreement with Samplast Resorts to develop the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Jalandhar GT Road. The new-build hotel featuring 110 keys is expected to be operational by the first quarter of 2024. With an existing portfolio of hotels from the Holiday Inn brand family across key cities in Punjab, the new development will further strengthen the brand’s presence in the country and the state, in line with market demand. Strategically located on the Grand Trunk Road, also known as NH1 which connects the country’s capital city of Delhi to Amritsar, the hotel will benefit from the excellent visibility and convenient access. Holiday Inn Express & Suites Jalandhar GT Road will be a short drive from the city’s central business district as well as shopping destinations. Additionally, the hotel will have an adjoining strip mall that will offer multiple dining options for hotel guests.
Ascott opens Japan’s first lyf coliving property in Fukuoka City
CapitaLand’s wholly owned lodging business unit, The Ascott Limited has this week opened the lyf Tenjin Fukuoka, its first lyf-branded coliving property in Japan. It is the first of six lyf properties that are slated to open this year alongside arrivals in Singapore and China as Ascott gears up to meet a strong demand by customers and property owners for the coliving product. The 131-unit lyf Tenjin Fukuoka is strategically located in Tenjin, the major shopping and recreational centre of Fukuoka, and near the business district too. The property is part of Resola Imaizumi Terrace by NTT Urban Development, a development with commercial, retail and food & beverage components. Ascott currently has a total of 15 lyf properties with over 3,000 units in 12 cities and eight countries, comprising three properties that have opened and 12 under development. lyf Tenjin Fukuoka follows the opening of lyf Funan Singapore and lyf Sukhumvit 8 Bangkok. The five properties slated to open in 2021 are lyf Farrer Park Singapore and lyf one-north Singapore as well as lyf Midtown Hangzhou, lyf Hongqiao Shanghai and lyf Dayanta Xi’an in China. Between 2022 and 2024, seven more lyf properties are slated to open in Beijing, Cebu, Danang, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Melbourne and Shanghai.
New St Somewhere boutique resort collection born from industry collaboration
Karisma Hotels & Resorts, a specialist in luxury resort properties across Latin America, the Caribbean and Europe, and Margaritaville, the global escapism lifestyle brand, have announced plans to launch a new boutique hotel collection: St Somewhere. This latest addition marks the second elevated concept developed by Karisma Hotels & Resorts and Margaritaville, complementing the Margaritaville Island Reserve Resort brand, which debuted in Riviera Cancun in 2020. The first St Somewhere resort is slated to launch in autumn 2021, with additional properties to be announced in other luxurious locations. Designed to appeal to both couples and families, St Somewhere will encompass a laid-back, escapist lifestyle offer with a boutique luxury twist. The first resort will launch in Isla Holbox, a small island north of Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula between the Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico.
Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- Preliminary May-2021 data for hotels in Berlin, Germany shows a slightly higher performance compared with previous months but at overall low levels. In fact, each of the three key metrics were the highest in the city since Oct-2020. Occupancy was just 17.0%, ADR was EUR70.53 and RevPAR was EUR11.99.
- The hotel industry in Melbourne, Australia reported lower performance levels in May-2021 compared with the month prior, according to preliminary data. Although lower than the month prior, the absolute occupancy level of 49.4% was the second-highest in the city since Febr-2020, while ADR (AUD160.12) and RevPAR (AUD79.04) were the second-highest since Mar-2020. When looking at daily data, STR reveals the highest performance was seen on Fridays and Saturdays, helped by staycation weekend demand.
- The hotel industry in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia reported its highest room rates in three months in May-2021, according to preliminary data. Each of the three key performance metrics were up from Apr-2021, but despite the month-over-month increase, occupancy (42.8%) and RevPAR (SAR232.85) came in lower than earlier pandemic-affected months. ADR was SAR544.31 for the month.
News briefs – bitesize updates of latest industry news and developments
- Thai hotel operator Centara Hotels & Resorts has revealed plans to launch its family-centric brand, Centara Mirage, in Vietnam with the opening of a fully-integrated adventure-themed leisure resort just a few hours from Ho Chi Minh City. Scheduled to start welcoming guests in the third quarter of 2021, Centara Mirage Resort Mui Ne will mark company’s return to the Vietnamese market, one of Asia’s most dynamic destinations. It will also become only the second Centara Mirage resort worldwide, following the popular Lost World-themed Centara Grand Mirage Beach Resort Pattaya, Thailand.
- Cerberus Capital Management and Highgate have signed a sale and purchase agreement with subsidiaries of Far East Consortium International for the acquisition of Dorsett City London, a property located in Aldgate High Street in London. The hotel is located in the heart of London’s financial district with a strong reputation for luxury and service.
- US hotel owner and operator MCR has acquired the 150-room Hilton Garden Inn Louisville Mall of St Matthews in the heart of Kentucky. The hotel is 10 minutes from Louisville International Airport and 15 minutes to downtown Louisville. But the real attraction is just a short drive away at the legendary Churchill Downs, home of the Kentucky Derby, the first race in the coveted thoroughbred Triple Crown. The property houses 150 guestrooms all featuring mini fridges, microwaves and HDTVs.
- Hospitality Ventures Management Group (HVMG) has revealed strong Gross Operating Profit Per Available Room (GOPPAR) and Gross Operating Profit (GOP) margins as measured by STR data. From Jun-2020 through Mar-2021, HVMG’s consolidated portfolio produced a GOPPAR of USD15.13 and a GOP margin of 27.3%, compared to industry averages of USD7.62 and 11.8%, respectively, for the same period. In the upper upscale segment, the results were even more dramatic as HVMG’s GOP margin for the ten month period was 27.2% versus the industry average of 3.2%.
- The renowned Hotel Metropole Monte-Carlo in Monaco has entered into a partnership with guest experience and staff management platform INTELITY to meet changing guest needs. The Mediterranean property will deliver contactless service for guests through a branded mobile app with capabilities including mobile check-in, that adds another layer of convenience and safety for both guests and employees.
- Ohana Real Estate Investors has acquired the La Cantera Resort & Spa from USAA Real Estate. The property is a 496-key luxury resort located in San Antonio, Texas,. This transaction advances Ohana’s strategy to acquire high-quality hotel and resort properties across North America.
- The Millennium Broadway Times Square will transition back into the Millennium Hotels and Resorts’ (MHR) portfolio of brands. Owned by Millennium & Copthorne Hotels Limited, the 52-storey landmark hotel in Midtown Manhattan offers 626-rooms in a central New York location. The property will complement MHR’s adjacent 124-room Millennium Premier Times Square and the 480-room M Social Hotel Times Square New York. MHR has engaged Highgate to manage the hotel.
- Travel fare aggregator and travel metasearch engine Orbitz is introducing a new search capability that improves access to lodging partners that have signed an Inclusivity Pledge against discrimination on the basis of gender and sexual identity. More than 35,000 independent, boutique and name-brand hotels have opted in, making it a powerful search tool for LGBTQIA travellers.
- The new Westin Tempe has opened for reservation from 29-Aug-2021 as the property near completion. The property will be the Arizona city’s largest new hotel opening in nearly four decades. Centrally located within Tempe’s downtown district, the 18-storey, full-service hotel will offer 290 guest rooms and suites.