CTC – Corporate Travel Community brings you a round up of some of the latest accommodation and hospitality news from across the globe. Here’s our offering for this week.
- IHG announces five new properties set to open in Coastal France
- Marriott signs up with Saxum Group to bring Fairfield brand and second Residence Inn to Costa Rica
- Former Porto warehouse emerges as Hilton property after EUR40 million renovation
- Wyndham debuts Days Hotel economy brand in the UAE
- Hyatt Ziva Riviera Cancun latest arrival in the Cancun Hotel Zone
- IHG turns to long-term partner to bring boutique Hotel Indigo to Bandung
- Radisson Collection Hotel, Palazzo Touring Club Milan opens in the heart of Milan
- Delta Hotels debuts new room design with Santa Clara Silicon Valley opening
- Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- News briefs – bitesize updates of latest industry news and developments
IHG announces five new properties set to open in Coastal France
HG Hotels & Resorts is expanding its presence in one of its primary markets – France – with four new hotel signings and a new opening. Situated on France’s coastline, the five-strong collection of new properties bring three of IHG’s brands to the region for the first time, including Staybridge Suites, Holiday Inn Express, Crowne Plaza and Hotel Indigo. Expansion is a key strategic growth driver for IHG, and the new signings in Cannes, Cagnes-sur-Mer, Arachon-La Teste and Marseilles further cement the company’s presence in continental Europe across multiple brand collections including; Essentials, Premium, Suites and Luxury & Lifestyle. The first of the new additions – Holiday Inn Express Arcachon- La Teste – recently opened on the shores of Arcachon Bay, an inlet on France’s South West coast. The new signings are expected to open from Oct-2021 onwards, with the 87-room Hotel Indigo Cagnes-sur-Mer, the first of the set scheduled to welcome guests. It will be followed in spring 2022, by the 71-room Holiday Inn Express Ajaccio, introducing the brand to the French island of Corsica, then in mid-2022 by the Staybridge Suites Cannes Centre, offering a home-away-from-home experience just a short, five-minute walk from Cannes iconic palais des festivals and the croisette. The final confirmed new arrival will see another Crowne Plaza property arriving in Southern France with the opening of Crowne Plaza Marseille Le Dôme. The 147-room hotel will debut in 2022.
Marriott signs up with Saxum Group to bring Fairfield brand and second Residence Inn to Costa Rica
Marriott International has signed an agreement with Saxum Group to develop the first Fairfield by Marriott and second Residence Inn by Marriott in Costa Rica, growing its portfolio to 17 hotels in the country. Known predominantly for adventure and leisure tourism, Costa Rica has long been a hub for business in the region and continues to be one of the most attractive Latin American countries in which to do business. The destination is ranked by the World Economic Forum (WEF) as number one for innovation in Latin America and a sought-after market for direct foreign investment. The Residence Inn Alajuela will be located in Coyol de Alajuela, known as the country’s new logistics hub with easy access to San Jose International airport. Situated near QALMA, a modern residential high-rise of 13 floors, and the only vertical housing development in the area, the property will feature 117 suites. Meanwhile, the Fairfield by Marriott San Jose Curridabat is slated to have 125 rooms and will be located in Guayabos de Curridabat, a growing business cluster east of San Jose.
Former Porto warehouse emerges as Hilton property after EUR40 million renovation
Following a franchise agreement with Sabersal – Promocão Turística e Imobiliária, Hilton Hotels has introduced a second property into the Porto market. The 194-room Hilton Porto Gaia complements the existing Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort and Spa. The new arrival occupies a former port warehouse and has been transformed into an eight-storey building following a EUR40 million development project that has preserved the property’s classic shape and structure. Drawing on Porto-Gaia’s rich heritage, the hotel’s interior has been styled by the award-winning Portuguese designer Nini de Andrade Silva to offer contemporary comfort and sophisticated design throughout with guestrooms designed with the building’s history in mind. The property also offers more than 2,200 square meters of dedicated conference, event and meeting rooms, including a ballroom that can host up to 600 people and an auditorium, which comfortably accommodates 350 attendees and is equipped with the latest technology, including a lift stage.
Wyndham debuts Days Hotel economy brand in the UAE
Wyndham Hotels & Resorts is further expanding its international footprint with the opening of the newly built 131-room Days Hotel by Wyndham Dubai Deira, its first property in the UAE under the economy brand. Located close to Dubai’s popular landmarks with a direct access to the Dubai Metro, the launch of the property follows the recent openings of the Super 8 by Wyndham Dubai Deira and Wyndham Dubai Deira as part of the Deira Enrichment Project and as a continuation of Wyndham’s rapid growth across the region. The Deira Enrichment Project – a development by Ithra Dubai, a fully owned subsidiary of Investment Corporation of Dubai – is a mixed-use project situated along the Dubai creek and waterfront in the western part of Deira. The new property features a total of 131 rooms, four separate event and meeting spaces and adds to a Wyndham portfolio of 19 hotels in the UAE, including 11 in Dubai.
Hyatt Ziva Riviera Cancun latest arrival in the Cancun Hotel Zone
Hyatt Hotels Corporation and Playa Hotels & Resorts have celebrated the opening of Hyatt Ziva Riviera Cancun, an all-inclusive family-friendly resort and newest addition to the Hyatt Ziva portfolio. Playa Hotels & Resorts will operate the new resort that aims “to deliver a new level of sophistication and service from the heart” to the destination’s all-inclusive market. Situated near the world-famous Cancun Hotel Zone, the 438-room property is nestled between the crystalline waters of the Caribbean Sea and the lagoon of Bahia Petempich. The resort boasts luxurious and spacious suites with private balconies featuring ocean views and special touches, including spa-like bathrooms with rainfall showers, hot tubs, turndown service, high-tech entertainment and complimentary minibars.
IHG turns to long-term partner to bring boutique Hotel Indigo to Bandung
IHG Hotels & Resorts and PT Hotel Dago Pakar have extended a long-standing partnership in Indonesia with the launch of a second hotel – Hotel Indigo Bandung Dago Pakar – following the success of InterContinental Bandung Dago Pakar. Scheduled to open in 2024, the 275-room property will be located in the prestigious Dago neighbourhood, in the northern region of Bandung. As with every Hotel Indigo property, it will draw on the story of its local area to inspire all aspects of its design, décor and service style. This will weave three key themes into every aspect of the guest journey: the healing and restorative power of water, the craftmanship of local artisans, musicians, puppet masters and dancers that combines modern and traditional art forms, and the folklores and fables that have inspired generations of locals. Facilities at the property, located on a site previously known as “Love Hill”, 700 metres above sea level in a rich botanical sanctuary surrounded by tea plantations, pristine forests and natural waterfalls, will include a café & bar, meeting and event spaces measuring more than 1,800 square metres in size, a health and fitness club, two swimming pools, and a kids club. It will also offer the first rooftop pool and bar in Bandung with 360-degree views of the surrounding landscape and city.
Radisson Collection Hotel, Palazzo Touring Club Milan opens in the heart of Milan
Set in an iconic building at the heart of Italy’s fashion, design and business capital close to the Duomo, Radisson Collection Hotel, Palazzo Touring Club Milan has opened after an extensive renovation by Studio Marco Piva, while still preserving the building’s historical significance and its unique identity. The property is the first for the Radisson Collection brand in Milan, a grouping of iconic properties in unique locations with immediate access to the local culture offering a premium lifestyle level of service and quality. The building was the headquarters of Touring Club Italiano, a non-profit association founded in 1894 with the aim of promoting Italy to make it more attractive, competitive and welcoming, and which has become the most important Italian Tourist Association. Built between 1914 and 1915 by the architect Binda, the building has been extensively renovated and transformed into a 5-star hotel featuring 89 elegant rooms and suites.
Delta Hotels debuts new room design with Santa Clara Silicon Valley opening
Delta Hotels by Marriott has confirmed the opening of the Delta Hotels by Marriott Santa Clara Silicon Valley, debuting the brand’s refreshed guest room design inspired by its commitment to a seamless travel experience, focusing on the details that really matter. This is Delta Hotels’ first property in the Northern California area and second in the Golden State. The hotel has 263 guest rooms, a heated swimming pool, a 24-hour fitness centre and more than 8,000 square feet of meeting and conference space across seven flexible meeting areas – available indoor and outdoor. It is located in the heart of Silicon Valley close to the Santa Clara Convention Center, Levi Stadium, and many major high-tech companies, and three miles from Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC).
Data metrics – latest performance insights from STR
- As the United Nations Climate Change Conference (Nov-2021) approaches, hotel occupancy on the books in Glasgow, Scotland continues to rise, reports STR. Glasgow’s future hotel demand is trending between 80.6% and 89.6% for the event period. The days before and after the conference are also showing much improved occupancy levels at 87.1% and 74.5% on 31-Oct-2021 and 13-Nov-2021, respectively. Looking at different segments of the markets, all hotels classes show an impact during the conference week with occupancies above 85%. Among those classes, Midscale & Economy Class occupancy on the books is currently 99% for the first day of the conference. Luxury & Upper Upscale hotels show their highest level for occupancy on the books (94%) on day two, 2-Nov-2021.
- STR’s latest monthly 51-chart map focusing on RevPAR on a total-room-inventory basis across United States of America (USA) shows a variety of recent national/regional market trends as well as the general pace of the industry’s continued recovery from the pandemic. With Labor Day marking the unofficial end of the summer leisure-oriented travel season, recent weeks have produced a dip from summer peaks in many markets with ground lost from 2019 RevPAR levels, it shows. This expected seasonal slowing in US hotel business is evidenced in most states’ performance. However, for the four weeks ending 18-Sep-2021, 21 states still outperformed their comparable 2019 average RevPAR, led by Maine (index score of 143 or 43% above 2019 levels) and Mississippi (142). A range of leisure-oriented regions, such as upper New England and the northwestern mountain states, continued to report strong RevPAR surpluses. Likewise, hurricanes along the Gulf coast also contributed to major surges in room demand (and subsequent RevPAR) for Louisiana (123), Mississippi and Alabama (114).
News briefs – bitesize updates of latest industry news and developments
- The AC Hotel Atlanta Perimeter has opened in the bustling Perimeter Center of Dunwoody, Ga. Owned by Chattanooga-based Vision Hospitality Group and managed by Humanist Hospitality, a wholly owned subsidiary of Vision, the hotel is just a short drive from Buckhead and Downtown Atlanta. It features 156 guest rooms, across five different room types.
- Accor has strengthened its loyalty strategy with the launch of a payment card in partnership with BNP Paribas and Visa. The ALL – VISA payment card will enable members to earn Reward points on daily purchases at their favourite retailers, even their online shopping. Insurance coverage, assistance, and dedicated offers will also be linked to the card, reports Accor.
- The Anantara Iko Mauritius Resort & Villas starts welcoming back guests from Oct-2021 after the Indian Ocean island reopens as a travel option to vaccinated travellers for quarantine free travel. It will feature new two- and four-bedroom Anantara Pool Villas, which are set within tropical gardens and combine modernity with indigenous design in homage to the serene surroundings of the southeast coast of Mauritius.
- The Asterion Suites & Spa, a member of the Elegant Collection of Louis Hotels, has opened on the beach of Pyrgos Psiloneros in Chania, Crete. The luxury property features 67 suites all with astronomy inspired names such as Cosmos, Planet, Universe and Kingdom which are spread out over 7.5 acres offering a promise of tranquil living.
- Full-service hotel management company Valor Hospitality Partners has launched a partnership with CityBlue Hotels, the African hotel chain, owned by The Diar Group. Under a long-term arrangement, the new joint venture, to be called Valor Diar, will initially operate Divine Residences by CityBlue in Riverside, Nairobi – developed by Vaal Real Estate – which is set to open in April 2023. Valor Diar plans a significant pipeline of East African properties as the market recovers following the effect the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Nestled in the forested hillside bordering Gros Morne National Park in Western Newfoundland & Labrador, the Gros Morne Inn will debut in spring 2022 offering a promise of luxury accommodation, fine dining, and four-seasons of outdoor exploration and adventure. Boasting ocean and mountain views from each of the 15 guestrooms, the boutique Inn’s interiors are inspired by natural light and a colour palette from the surrounding environment, with local wildlife and marine artwork featured throughout.
- Hotelbeds has reported strong growth in hotel bookings in several Latin American destinations with booking data revealing the number of room nights sold has grown exponentially in countries such as Mexico, Brazil, Argentina and Colombia over the last eight weeks. Brazil has increased its bookings by 28%, while Mexico has also experienced a growth of around 20%. During the last four weeks in the Caribbean, Punta Cana has gained a lot of momentum and bookings have increased by 80%. Puerto Rico and Jamaica have also been well positioned as destinations with solid growth recently, according to Hotelbeds.
- Marriott International has submitted its letter to the Science Based Targets initiative, committing to set science-based emissions reduction targets across all scopes, in line with 1.5°C emissions scenarios and a long-term science-based target to reach net-zero value chain greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by no later than 2050. Marriott International’s portfolio of hotels has been working to reduce its carbon footprint as part of its existing 2025 sustainability goals and this latest commitment to climate action represents the next step in the company’s sustainability journey.
- Sonesta Resorts has introduced a bundled resort and airfare package for travellers flying to Sint Maarten (SXM) and a stay at its Sonesta Ocean Point Resort or Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa properties. The offer combines the resorts’ direct rates with a flexible cancellation policy, optional trip insurance, and a pay-over-time programme.
- The historic Warwick Melrose – Dallas has debuted a new look following completion of renovations as part of a hotel-wide update which has included a doubling of its event spaces. The project has seen a reimaging of the property’s 184 guestrooms, suites and Presidential suite that retain the buildings historic character but marries it with the modern needs of travellers.