Kenya Airports Authority and African Development Bank Group announced (02-Apr-2018) Kenya's Government received a loan from the African Development Bank to finance the Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta International Airport airfield expansion project, and intends to apply part of the proceeds for construction of a second runway. The main objectives of the project are:
- Improve reliability of air service at the airport by having a second runway to cover the "uncertainties currently associated with the existing runway";
- Improve capacity to accommodate fully loaded Class F aircraft such as the Airbus A380;
- Enhance payload capacity for direct services to North America;
- Improve airport capacity to achieve the goal set out in Vision 2030 to accommodate 45 million passengers;
- Generate more direct and indirect employment.
The works specifically include associated taxiways, new ground lighting and navigational aids, new meteorological systems and construction of a fire fighting station. [more - original PR]