Deutscher ReiseVerband (German Travel Association - DRV) received (30-Aug-2017) confirmation from Greece's Ministry of Tourism regarding plans to introduce an accommodation tax as of 01-Jan-2018. The tax rate depends on the type of accommodation. Details include:
- EUR0.50 per room and night in a one or two star hotel;
- EUR1.50 per room and night in a three star hotel;
- EUR3 per room and night in a four star hotel;
- EUR4 per room and night in a five star hotel;
- EUR0.50 per night in a holiday apartment.
The tax is to be collected and paid by the Greek accommodation companies alone. More detailed information is planned to be provided during Sep-2017. DRV "expressed... disagreement" with the measures. [more - original PR - German]